1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

What is so wonderful about an 1911?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by OldEagle, Jul 11, 2010.

1. OldEagle

OldEagle New Member

Everything I see or read compares all handguns to the 1911. What makes them remain as the standard by which all others are judged? It just seems to be THE GUN.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its simple in design, powerful, and accurate. Its a tried and true design thats been around for 100 years. Kinda like single action revolvers are held to Colt SAA standards and double actions are compared to S&W N frames. The 1911 is the creme of the automatic crop;)
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well said JLA
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

one reason that the 1911 is so popular is reputation.

if it had not been a military arm it probably would not have been so popular.

while it is a good design, it is reliable and shoots a good cartridge, the gun itself isnt anything special compared to others.

what it did though, where others failed, was to get everything right all in the same package. i cannot think of another large caliber (over 9mm) automatic pistol that was american made between the ages of 1900 and the mid 1950s. when it comes down to it, americans want american guns over foreign designs.

~john
  5. doug66

doug66 New Member

What isn't so wonderful about an 1911?
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    What other semi-auto hand gun shoots a bigger, more powerfull bullet? And just look at how long it's been around. The fact that it's been around so long means that everything that could be done to a semi-auto has been tried with this gun. All the kinks have been worked out of it.
  7. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

The 1911 is one of the best and most accurate pistols ever made. Of course everyone's going to compare something to a 1911.

The 1911 CAN where lots of pistols CAN'T.

Plus it's been around for 99 years.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

For some of us the 1911 is a blank canvas.

With so many after market parts it can be made into anything you like. One of mine is made into a clone of a 1950's bullseye gun including all different trigger system parts, tight barrel bush, Dwyer Group Gripper, a Bomar rib with attached sight rail, and other customizing features.

And, most importantly to me, its a John Browning design. If you didn't know, John Browning designed the following Winchester rifles: 1885, 1886, 1892, 1894, 1895. He designed the Browning Auto-5 and the Browning High Power HP35. Probably the most used machine gun of WWII was the Browning 50 Caliber Machine guns (50BMG) as virtually every airplane of that period had several on-board. There are many other guns that were John Browning designs and the most famous, I believe, is the 1911 pistol. In the last 5 to 10 years America has rediscovered it and every manufacturer of pistols, it seems, has a clone of it (even SIG and S&W!). John Browning was a gun genius. Every gun he designed appeared to him in his mind before he built the prototype without the use of drawings. He sold the designs to Winchester, Remington, Fabrica National (FN) and Colt. Every one of his gun designs was near perfect, innovative, and ahead of its time.

LDBennett
  9. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    R-E-L-I-A-B-L-E,

I-N-D-E-S-T-R-U-C-T-I-B-L-E

A-C-C-U-R-A-T-E

not to mention Ameican Invented....:D
  10. 199er

199er New Member

Ditto..........................with emphasis RELIABLE..
  11. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Fits my hand good, points naturally, powerful enough to do the job and easy enough to shoot in a hurry when needed. Obscenely accurate when the gun is right and the shooter does his job. You can make bullets bigger or faster or more explosive but you can't really improve much on the basic design. Sometimes bigger and faster isn't always better, its the whole package.
  12. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

Plus 1 for me on this and others.... Try one and you too will see the light....;) Wait, let me rephrase that, try a GOOD one not some crappy knockoff imitation one.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  13. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

The 1911 platform is a good design. But then so are the Glocks, Sigs, HK, and many others. I carry a 1911 Sig or Colt Commander fairly often. I can also be found carrying a Glock. I like both styles. The 1911 feels great in the hand and has an exceptional trigger. The trigger on a Glock is a lot different but once you become a customed to it a Glock will shoot very well too. I also like the capacity of the Glocks.

The 1911 platform is flat out sexy. She is the queen of the dance. Glocks are one of those girls that get prettier close to closing time in a road house dump.
  14. 199er

199er New Member

I completely agree...........................and a great analogy too !!
  15. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

For many of the same reasons that Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Rembrandt, DaVinci, Michelangelo have never gone out of favor. They, along with the 1911, were perfect from the start.