What is so wonderful about an 1911?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by OldEagle, Jul 11, 2010.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

The sand and dust problems that the military had were from the magazines getting clogged. I've heard the guns function much better with the factory Beretta magazines.
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Lol!

I go to the range quite a bit and try out different guns when I can. Most of the stuff I shoot are range rentals when I'm not shooting my Springfield so alot of their guns are old police issue stuff like Berettas, Glocks, Taurus, Smith & Wessons.

I've always wanted to try out the Model 19. I didn't ask if they had it last time. I thought I saw one in their display case.

Never tried .357 Magnum OR .38 Special yet. I've handled an old Smith & Wesson Model 36 they had at Gander Mountain. I believe it's a .38 Special and the one they had was a snub nose. But it just felt weird in my hand.

I like to read a lot too. About guns, or cars, or whatever. I have lots and lots of books.

I go on Sundays though when everybody is still recovering from Saturday night and I'm not up to anything important.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

By the way, how do you like that Springfield TRP? I am thinking about buying one. But I'm not totally sure yet.
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I'm far from an expert.
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

But you is learning quick!
  6. zb338

zb338 New Member

During WW2 whenever the Germans had the chance they grabbed
    a 1911 and used it if they could get ammo. It was better than
    any other gun out there. I have a few 1911's but if I had my choice
    I would carry a Model 19 S&W chambered in .357. From 0 yds. to
    200 yds. an enemy better be moving or they have been had.
    Zeke
  7. patrol

patrol New Member

For me it's the way it feels in my hand and the way the single action trigger resets between rounds. I think I can shoot this gun faster than any other handgun I own and with greater accuracy. To me that's the name of the game in self preservation. Fast but accurate shots.
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I think the main reason these old farts like the 1911 so much is that its like an old carburated car... it needs ALOT of tinkering and the old farts on this forum LOVE to tinker with things. They love to tinker even "if" it ain't broke... :D:D:D:D

Seriously... its design is solid and they can be made to be very accurate. They can also be made to be less accurate but more reliable as was the case with my Colt 1911s.
    Another thing... 1911s come in all sizes AND weights. If you think one is to heavy then look at a lightweight version of the same gun. Different metal but lighter. There really is a variety of choices when it comes to 1911s.
    Single stack mags are one of the downsides though. I hate being limited to 8 round mags that you cannot load up with more than 7 rounds without risking a feeding problem....

1911s are good to have in the collection...but not the "only" thing you should have in your collection...in my opinion.

mike
    gn
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

There are double-stack 1911s. Para makes a few of them.

They are easier to conceal that probably any other gun out there thanks to their slim profile.

Yes, weight and ammo capacity are downfalls of this gun. But really?

As the saying goes ".45ACP. Because shooting twice is silly."

The 1911 is also one of the most accurate autoloaders to date. Even the old warhorse Colts are reasonably accurate compared to many handguns today. And even the old rattleboxes the military had were more accurate than the brand new Berettas the military rolled out in '85.

Not just old farts like em. I'm 23 and I love 1911s.
  10. TheGunClinger

My TRP is dead nuts accurate, unfortunately I am not. Out of all my guns, I can hit more accurately with the TRP than any of them. When I take it to the range I make myself look good! They are hard to come by but if you ever get a chance to fire one, you will want one.
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

The shop out in Sun Prarie has two of them. A stainless one and a parkerized one. I think I'd go with the parkerized. What exactly is the difference between them and the Loaded model like I have?

I know the TRP has a bull barrel. Different grips. And I thought it had a rail on it too. Because I know there's another one called the Operator. But I thought the Operator model was nearly the same thing as the TRP. Operator looks like it comes with the Pachmayr grips. It looks like the Operator is not a bull barrel either. I probably just answered my own question.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  12. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

What is so wonderful about a Glock?

Now don't get me wrong. I've got both. The reason I like a 1911 better is that it fits my hand, it points naturally, it has a great trigger, and a 45acp is an awesome self defense round.

The Glock(23) on the other hand has a higher capacity magazine (13) and an accessory rail. However the grip is too fat, the trigger is lousy (in my opinion) and the point of aim is too high (I have to compensate by bending my wrist which is something I don't want to do in a fight).

So bottom line, the 1911 just suits me better.

To each his own.

BTW, I'm a Ford man also.

John
  13. TheGunClinger

Mine is an Operator TRP with a rail. It has G-10 grips which will rip your skin off if you dont hold it tight. Extremely accurate.

Attached Files:

14. TheGunClinger

I bought it used with about 20 rounds through it for $950.00!
  15. jakharath

jakharath New Member

When I pick up a 1911, it just feels ... right. Like the gun belongs in my hand. Sig's are close, but still not a 1911. I got my full sized one in 1990. She's changed since then, but I still carry her to this day. My 1911 is a constant in my life. She works without fail, always.

Recently I've started reloading and found that my 1911 REALLY likes 185gr lead SWC's. It's as if the skies parted and John Moses Browning smiled down upon me.

Several years ago (2006) a friend referred to my 1911 as Frankenstein. I quote:

"A friend of mine has been shooting the same 1911 .45 for about 16 years or so. Well, pretty much the same 1911. It's a custom frame that's had some additions over the years. It's huge, clunky, and heavy. If Dr. Frankenstein built a 1911, it would look a lot like this one. If it runs out of ammo in a fight, he can beat his targets to death with it. It's got huge sights on it. It's got a huge fat hammer, and a very smooth trigger. Otherwise, there's nothing really special about this .45. No fancy polymer frame. No night sights, no fancy custom trigger, no light rails, etc. There's nothing on the pistol that could be considered, "tactical" by the modern standards of such. But it worked, and worked well. Not one jam. Not one misfire. Not one miss on a target, from what I could tell. I couldn't say the same. Though to be fair, I only had one jam that was attributable to bad ammo. Another lesson learned.

This friend has pretty much carried this gun for 16 years. It fell out of service for awhile when a Glock 17 showed up. But it came back. It then got shifted to the back burner when a Sig interloper tried to move into contention. But again, it came back. He's always loved the feel of this gun, and the way it handled. It's been a constant in his life.

More importantly, he shoots the old warhorse phenomenally. We shot combat drills with it, as well as plain target shooting. To say that he beat the rest of us soundly is an understatement. He's accurate. He's fast on the draw, and fast on the target. There was a noticeable level of skill with the old Frankenstein 1911 that none of the rest of us had. The scary thing was, this guy hadn't shot in over a year. And he shamed the rest of us.

I can't tell you how many pistols I've gone through over the years. I can shoot just about anything decently. I can qualify with just about any auto that I've picked up. But I can't hit the shots that he can hit. I have no confidence in the preciseness of my shot placement with any of my guns. I am nowhere near that good as this friend of mine with the Frankenstein 1911. He's scary good.

I think the reason is that he's been married to one pistol for all these years. It's almost a part of him. He can pull off any shot he needs to make with this pistol, probably without thinking about it. Even if he hasn't shot it much lately, he still carries it day to day. He still puts it on his bedside table every night. It fits his hand.

If a critical, life-or-death pistol shot had to be taken; I'd want him to take it with the monster 1911. This friend of mine knows that pistol inside and out. It's been a constant companion. And it shows.

So the lesson learned is to pick one weapon. Learn it inside and out. Carry it every day. Clean it and take care of it. Learn its quirks, its likes and dislikes. Learn to trust it. It will pay off dividends if needed. It will fit the hand like a glove, and point as naturally as a finger. The bullets will hit where they were intended to hit."

Since then I put night sights on it and have changed from Pachmeyer grips to Hogues. I am still chasing the perfect triger pull...

Their are really only two things that makes MY 1911 different than most: 1) I prefer (but don't have to have) an arched mainspring housing and 2) I MUST have a wide spur hammer. I'm a lefty and it makes decocking it much easier (and safer).

Here's another reason 1911's are wonderful:

A friend had a squib in his Glock (pure ammo malfunction). We were way out on a ranch in a mule. I found a screwdriver but couldn't knock the bullet out of the barrel. So I unloaded my 1911 and used it as a hammer to get the stuck round out of the Glock barrel. Frankenstein to the rescue!

My best advice is to reread my friends last paragraph - it holds true for any weapon - and to go forth and shoot one* and see for yourself!

* a true 1911, not one's that are sacrilege to the Browning design. No plastic parts (yes, I'm talking to YOU Kimber, with your plastic mainspring housing) and polymer frames are out of the question.
  16. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Now that's funny. I can hardly wait to see how the "Glocker's" reply. :D

John
  17. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i like both 1911's and glocks.
  18. Luis Fernando

Luis Fernando New Member

And mines

Springfield Armory TRP TACTICAL

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Colt Government MK IV/ Series 70

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Luis Fernando
  19. Texxut

Texxut Member

Another plus the 1911 holds over the Glock, is the ability to shoot lead projectiles.
  20. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Darn good point! With the obscene prices of ammo these days i figure making my own lead rounds with be mandatory before long...

AND...if i use a bullet trap i can recycle lead endlessly!

mike
    gn