The Firearms Forum banner

What is the best 45ACP Carbine ?

17K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  Swifty Morgan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello friends, I am considering getting a new rifle, and would like some information, reviews, or general experiences as to what is a good 45ACP Carbine, and which ones to avoid.

I have a negative review from my brother regarding the Berretta Storm. He said it kicked badly and twisted on every shot making follow-ups problematic. Can anyone confirm this? All information would be appreciated, however I want 45 ACP Carbine (rifle) info. only.

Thanks.

#3 ·
i have a hipoint 45acp carbine.

when you open the box you think. wow.. crude plastic and clunky chunky parts.. but that's were it stops.

my hp 45acp carb shoots great.. i put a cheap 4x32 scope on it ( leapers ).. and it you can tear up a pie plate with it at 50yds with ease.. more than i thought it would do.. no FTF, hangs.. etc.

it has digested steel and brass cased ammo, reloads, HP and ball ammo, plus the truncated nose stuff..

have NOT tried LRN in it. only jacketed and plated stuff.

#7 ·
you might be surprised.

I've never shot a full auto thompson, so can't comment on how they climb. but a reising is pretty solid. part of that is due to you only being able to get 10-20 and rare 30round mags for it.

I've shot other bullet hose type guns like mac 11 9mm, and those are so light that they are up after only 10 rounds!

#10 ·
I bought a CX4 Storm in 9mm when they first came out. I bought a top rail and a coupel of spacers to increase the stock length. I liked the fact that it took the 92F magazines cause I had several of them. At the time, you could buy the 30 round mags from CDNN for about $10 and I bought three of them. I really loved that carbine but then as always happens, you see something you think you want more and what you really like gets sold!!

#11 ·
Hey George. You convert your magazine hold-down, or the magazines? Somewhere in this Bermuda gun-room I've got three 30s that have been converted to work with a 27. If they ever turn up, I'll send 'em your way, if you can use 'em.

I sure got no use for 'em. Used my 27 as a trade-in on my 28.

#13 ·
I thought id get lots of flack coming in here and recommending the hi point.

Seems others have had similar experiences. I've shot one quite a bit. Dang thing shoots great.

#15 ·
I thought id get lots of flack coming in here and recommending the hi point.

Seems others have had similar experiences. I've shot one quite a bit. Dang thing shoots great.
Well I for one certainly appreciate all the input, I don't judge things by how much they cost, I judge them by how well they work. Something like 'a tree is measured by the quality of it's fruit' type thing. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

#16 ·
In a 45 - except for the weight - it's hard to beat the Tommy. My son has one and it is dead-nuts accurate and a blast to shoot. Have a 20 & 30 round stick plus a 50-round drum.

After running through the drum I need his help in pulling the bolt back -- I'm just too tired at that point from the weight.

Did I mention that it's heavy? Again, the only downside to it for me.

#19 · (Edited)
A friend had an H&K 45 carbine a few years ago. I only got to shoot it once but it was nice. I cant remember the model number now. edit: it's the H&K USC
The Hi-Point is a good rifle, and at it's lower price will leave you extra cash to buy more ammo.
I've only shot a Volunteer Arms copy of the Thompson. It was cool looking, and functioned fine. Accuracy wasn't great and you could blast $100 worth of ammo in no time at all.
I hope you find one you like and enjoy shooting it.
I also found an AR carbine made by Just Right carbines. It advertises that it takes Glock mags.

#22 ·
I dont know about BEST, but the Ruger Camp 45 is a sweet looking carbine

Would be fun to bring out with friends with 10/22's, then pop off a hot 45 haha

KRISS Vector .45 is probably the best performing out there. Delayed blowback system claims to reduce recoil by 60% and 95% less muzzle jump.

#23 ·
Albtraum, that "Ruger" is a Marlin.

Ruger made pistol carbines. 9mm and 40 Smith, but not 45. Black plastic stocks.

Marlin made the Camp Carbine, in 9mm and 45. And I would guess that pic is the 9mm. The 45 version used a 1911 mag, while the 9mm used a S&W Model 59 mag. Being that's a double-stack mag in the picture, I'm guessing 9.

#27 ·
yup, the pistols were a tad too ugly for me, I had to draw the line at a haskel 45 decades ago. The hp pistols remind me of a glick, with a 3" plastic but on the magazine, and 2# heavier!

the 45 carbine is decent though. Open sights at 50 yes is where I like to shoot it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.