What is the best AR-15 under $800.00?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

rodgerglide
    (12/17/01 2:05:32 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All What is the best AR-15 under $800.00?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This subject has probably been discussed in the past,but being new to this BB I would like to hear your opinions. Buying an American made gun is important to me.All the others in my small collection are American made. Hopefully a .223 is my next purchase. I value your opinions.Reading about the numerous offerings in the trade magazines is alright,but nothing beats long term ownership in my opinion.So..what do you own,and how do you like it? Please keep in mind that I probably will not be entering any competitions,and just want a base model to start with. Thanks

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (12/17/01 7:02:51 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: What is the best AR-15 under $800.00?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've owned and shot AR-15's from almost every maker and I prefer Bushmaster. Never had a problem with mine.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/18/01 12:06:36 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: What is the best AR-15 under $800.00?
    I agree with S45, Bushmaster all the way!

The new M-4's are outstanding in every way!

There are many models to choose from and
    everything is still Mil Spec unlike the post-ban
    colts.

I own a pre-ban Colt Govt. Carbine(6520) and
    I have one of the Bushmaster M-4 Carbines and
    it equals the Colt in every respect, performance
    wise, mechanically and in looks except that due
    to post-ban configuration laws the M-4's stock
    doesn't collapse and is in the open fixed position,
    the muzzle break/flash hider is a little different
    and no bayonet lug.

Other than that Bushmaster is a superb AR!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

warpig883
    (12/18/01 1:42:56 am)
    Don't forget the AR in AR-15 stands for Armalite Rifle.
    To silence the mocker is to proclaim his litany true

bondai
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/24/01 2:29:21 pm)
    I like my Bushmaster. Their customer service is the best. Allow me to bore you for a minute. I bought the rifle used and it looked in excellent condition. The first time I took the rifle out to the range it would not properly eject the spent round.

I tried just about everything. Changed bolts, different ammo, different mags, checked headspace. The problem just got worse. I finally contacted Bushmaster and explained the problem and also told them it was a used rifle. They said no problem, send it to us we'll fix it. They did. Complete tune up at no cost to me other than shipping.

The rifle has functioned perfectly ever sense. I have bought two more since then. I won't buy a Colt..too much money and I don't care for their politics.
    "Be grateful that you are not getting all the government you are paying for"

rodgerglide
    (12/24/01 2:38:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del best AR-15 under $800.00
    Thanks for the info...seems now I just wait for my income tax refund and get a Bushmaster.Nice to know a company still believes in service after the sale.I would get one right away,but spent too much on presents.Know what I mean? Merry Christmas everyone!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/24/01 5:42:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: best AR-15 under $800.00
    Colt also has voluntarally placed a big metal block
    in the receiver just over the trigger/hammer
    mechanism, another politico move on their
    part!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

AntiqueDr
    (12/24/01 8:08:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Gun of the Day!
    Let's see.... Bushmaster.... Bushmaster.... OH YEAH! Here's one you dont see that often:

That's a Bushmaster Super V-Match with 20" fluted barrel, adjustable target handgrip and factory SWEET trigger.

Here's a look at the fluted barrel - it's a full 1" diameter beneath the free-floating aluminum handguard!

Not exactly under $800 but not all THAT much more... sorry, just had to.... heheheheheee

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

rodgerglide
    (12/25/01 12:02:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del gun of the day
    assssssddddddfghjkn ...oops,sorry...had to wipe the drool off of the keyboard...antiquedr,I wish you hadn't posted that....well,maybe I can push the upper spending limit up a tad...lessee....a little overtime might come in handy...

AntiqueDr
    (12/25/01 12:04:58 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: gun of the day
    That's one of the upper-end Bushys. Standard service rifles are within your budget.

Hey, I could have posted a DCM Competition or a Varminter...

hehehehehee

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

rodgerglide
    (12/25/01 12:24:49 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del gun of the day
    I think that if I would have had one of those in basic,I might have qualified expert instead of sharpshooter way back when....want to pass this along...my son graduated from basic a couple of months ago at Ft.Knox and told me that they had to share weapons as there were not enough to go around!! What in the world is going on with our military? Made it hard for any of those youngsters to zero,much less qualify. He is a better shot than I am but barely got by...not very fair in my humble opinion...