What Is the Best Conceal Carry Weapon?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hogger129, Jan 1, 2010.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

In your opinion, what is the best pistol for conceal carry and why is it the best...

I would almost say some kind of sub-compact Glock or a snubnose revolver.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. red14

red14 Well-Known Member

I have a mini-revovler from North American Arms. 6 ounces, 6" long, 22lr. Sits in my pocket, no one ever sees it. It is not very powerful, but it is concealed, and always with me.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    In my opinion the first thing to consider is caliber. Hand guns are not all that powerfull compared to rifles. You want the largest caliber you can comfortably shoot, and carry. I carry a 1911A clone. Why? Because I know this gun really well. It shoots anything I feed it, and is one of the most accurate hand guns I own. .45 +P Corbon JHP are what I am carring at the moment. When I find some Hydro Shocks, I'll switch carry ammo. Again, in my opinion sub-compacts, and snubnose revolvers are just fine as CCW's, but they lack the power, and range of the full sized pistols, thus, I believe that they make great BUGS, but fall short in the SD catagory compared to full sized hand guns.
  4. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I carry a Walther P99 in 9mm loaded with HydraShoks.
  5. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Lately, my choice is a Glock 26. I carried a 5 shot .38 forever until I got the 26. Comparing the two, the 26 is actually smaller and carries 11 rounds and remains safely ready with a simple pull of a trigger just like a revolver. I keep it full of Hornady FTX 115gr. It is also just as safe to stuff down your pants or in a pocket. I use a Disantis concealed holster and I often find myself feeling to make sure it's still there. Very comfortable.

At 50 feet, I can keep all shots in the -0 ring of an IDPA target freehand which is more than enough considering the average gunfight is around 7 yards. As for lethality, a double tap of FTX rounds center mass is going to stop the clock of any attacker, unless you are attacked by a grizzley at the ATM and I don't see that happening.

My weapon of choice is and always will be a 1911, but I cannot comfortably conceal one of those year-round....but that's me. I'm not built for it and my climate prohibits more than a t-shirt and shorts for most of the year.

You will get as many opinions as there are stars in the sky, but thats mine and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
  6. questor

questor Member

7. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

On one hand there is NO answer to this question. On the other hand there are almost as many answers as there are handguns. (Hunting hg's excluded)

The point being: ALL handgun purchases require some form of compromise.

Affordability; Comfort, Function, Usuability, Caliber, Capacity, Action and Brand Reliability are just "SOME" of the factors that have to be considered. Absouluetly NO handguns can be considered perfect in EVERY "carry" situation.

I think "any" caliber is better than NO caliber.

Shot placement trumps caliber AND capacity every time! So having a large caliber handgun you can't shoot well is worse than having a small 380acp or even a "rimfire" that you can hit where you aim every single time.

I would say start with a handgun you can shoot well. Then see if it is a possible choice for a CC weapon. If not, seek out something smaller; but similar in function and perhaps the same caliber.

IMO; Comfort, Function and Usability should be the over-riding factors to considered.

If a hand gun is comfortable in your hand, functions well AND is easy for you to use you will be more likely to practice with it to the point of proficiency. You will also be more likely to carry it everyday and continue to practice with it regularly.

Caliber, capacity, action and brand name should be only secondary in your choice of a CC weapon.

That being said: Calibers above 380acp/9mm "short" but no bigger than 45acp are the most recommended "defensive" calibers.

If a person is a brand new shooter or an experienced handgunner are other factors. What may be "best" (NOT perfect) for a new shooter will most likely NOT be the "best" CC choice for a seasoned handgunner.

SOoooo! IMHO; There are NO perfect handguns; PERIOD!
  8. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

It is a very personal choice, and can be based on body type and concealment requirements primarily, after caliber size. I initially carried a .380, but moved up to the .40 EMP, which makes me feel safer.
  9. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

The ONE that you will actually carry. If it's too much of a bother, you won't carry it. Likely different for everyone.

I regularly carry a 9 mm, or my .357 (with .38 +P loads) or even my .32. All are easy to carry, just depends on what I'm wearing.
  10. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

I do not. To my understanding, the heavier trigger was used to eliminate accidental discharges when pulling the weapon on a perp for compliance. There were documented cases of suspects getting plugged and it was blamed on the Glocks not having a high enough pull to prevent ADs during tense situations. For the most part they were upgraded to prevent lawsuits. A load of BS if you ask me.

Higher pulls are not for additional safety of the carrier, they are for the additional safety of the person on the muzzle end......the way I see it, if I draw my weapon, the reason is to use deadly force to defend myself. At that point, I most certainly do not care about their safety...quite the opposite actually. I do NOT believe in threatening by pointing a weapon at someone.

Police operations are very different than a citizen's. Police need to have their weapon ready at times, like when making a felony stop. Citizens should only pull their weapon when there is no other choice and they feel that their life is a stake and there is no other solution.

As for your own safety, you have nothing to fear as long as you obey one of the cardinal rules of firearms...."keep your finger out of the trigger opening until you are ready to fire". Follow this and the Glock WILL NOT fire.
  11. sweetokole

sweetokole New Member

A lot of great answers... and my 2 cents... whatever it is you decide to carry... please be as proficient as possible with it.... in other words... practice practice practice... nothing worse than carrying something you can't shoot.
  12. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

There is no "one best".

I have several CCWs that I carry, depending on the situation.

If I had to pick only one, I'd go with my Glock 26.

But I don't have to pick only one, so I don't.
  13. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    A gun.
  14. cakes

cakes New Member

For the sake of conversation my vote is for the Kahr series of carry pistols. They are designed from the start with concealed carry in mind and are high quality firearms.
  15. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

But they are not as out-of-the-box, stone cold reliable as the baby Glocks.