What is the best handgun for beginner?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 4safety, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

What'chu talkin' 'bout? I started with semis and it, for the most part, worked out. Granted, I started with a small one (Makarov), I started to hit my target at around 8-10yrds.
  2. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

I believe you are right not about strength as much as technique. As mentioned above, Ruger, Taurus, Smith and Wesson all good quality guns to begin with. Also mentioned above, If yu don't like the feel of the gun from first grip you may never like it.
  3. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

A compact 9mm would fit your requirements perfectly. As others have stated the best thing to do is rent a couple at your local range. This way you don't buy a handgun that is too heavy for CCW or doesn't fit your hands. Then practice with it as much as you can.

Safe Shooting,
    Steven@LG
  4. group17

group17 New Member

5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

My wifey loves her 24/7 C (9mm) also :)

But she likes my 1940 High Standard model B (.22lr) even more ;)

For critters, she loves the .22, for CCW, it's the 9mm all day :)

Never hurts to give yer gal a choice of tools to use ;)

Next will likely be a Beretta Neos with the Pink Grips...so she'll quit kidnapping my HS ;)
  6. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

is the hi standard the little 9 shot revolver deal? my mom has one of those! fun little plinking gun.
    i cant talk up the taurus 24/7's enough. those are great little guns. if you want a gun that is just simple to operate and clean then look into a revolver. a .32 S&W long has more punch to it than you would expect. i bought one a pretty good while back and in the wet phone book test it penetrated further with home made cast lead rounds and standard powder load than factory 9mm FMJ. i was surprised to say the least. and the gun does not kick hardly at all. but then again i dont think my judge kicks that much either. a snub nose .38 special or .357 would probably be right up your alley. i bet you would shoot and like one of those 2 guns. like the guys are saying, you dont want to sacrifice caliber for self defense. size matters. :D
  7. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

Try a Walther .32 acp or a Bersa Thunder .380 a year or two after maybe try a 9mm.