What is the best shotgun for turkey hunting?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by dealrocker, May 8, 2009.

1. dealrocker

dealrocker New Member

I am new to turkey hunting and have a 20 gauge shotgun, it works pretty fine but I have been thinking about getting a new gun.:confused:

I need some suggestions..

Thanks in advance.
  2. army mp

army mp Member

I look at it this way, any excuse to buy a new gun is a good one. Here in Pa a lot of turkeys have been taken with a 20 Gauge, but most guys opt for a 12. The mossberg 835 is a solid shot gun and will take 3 1/2 inch mags, It is also reasonable priced. I got mine a few years back. The new ones you can get factory camo, adjustable stock and a bunch of chock tubs.
  3. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Howdy and welcome you might want to check out winchesters Super X 3 Turkey or S X 3 . Another good choice would be the Remington 870 Express Turkey and Express Super Mag Turkey. Have fun !
  4. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I suggest using one that goes bang.:D I got to my cabin Sunday and went to pattern my gun. I had put a new barrel on it with chokes and wanted to check the 'turkey extra full'. The problem is it wouldn't go bang. The gun is an 1100 and the bbl is a Rem replacement but obviously the headspace is off. I toted my bro in law's 3" Browning with no luck. We had turkeys but they were all hens.

So, rule No. 2 is it really doesn't matter as to the gun if there is nothing at which to shoot.