What is the best Tokarev Pistol?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by AdamMO, Feb 20, 2011.

1. duck32man

duck32man Member

Can someone clarify 7.62 vs 32acp? Are they interchangeable? Can you shoot 32acp in a tokarev?
  2. 303

303 New Member

3. duck32man

duck32man Member

Sorry I meant to ask about 7.65 and 32ACP which I see is the same. So euro guns should be able to shoot 32acp. Thanks
  4. tntrucker

tntrucker New Member

I have 2 TT-33's, Romanian and a Polish. Fun gun, powerful, cheap ammo. Being a lefty, those ad on safeties stink. How did the Eastern Block people carry them (safety was added for import),no round in chamber and have to rack it?
  5. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

This space reserved!
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  6. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

My Friend, Your about to open one of the biggest debate on here! There are two different viewpoints on this. The first cock on the trigger is used as a safety by some, with a round in the chamber. Others swear this is inviting disaster! As to what the combloc armies did, I don't know. At nite on my side table ,I put one in the chamber and put it on half cock. I usually carry a d/a auto w/decocker.
  7. Ken W

Ken W Member

I have a Polish TT-33 and I love it. It's extremely reliable and very fun to shoot. I also have Norinco slide/barrel in 9mm so it's almost like having two guns in one. I've got to 9 mm one on at the moment, as seen in the pic below.

[​IMG]
  8. Laufer

Laufer Member

grcsat:
    How can they be uglier than a classic 1911 .45 caliber handgun?
  9. Yosemite

Yosemite Member

Nice case! Fits perfectly.
    Where did you find it?
  10. Ken W

Ken W Member

Actually, I don't remember for certain where I got the case. It might have been the local flea market or one of the thrift shops. I do believe both Wal-Mart and K-Mart sell similar ones though.
  11. Old Steve

Old Steve New Member

I believe it was deliberately made to visually resemble the Browning 1903, Colt 38 long, which was very common in Russia from long ago, as was the Mauser 96. For them, best of both worlds, the Browning locked-breech action can handle higher pressures than the Mauser, or so we are told, and it is much more compact and easy to handle. In 1930 Tokarev was a very senior officer in the main government arsenal, with all the samples and assistants he might desire, and he took enough time to get it right.
  12. WDfrmTN

WDfrmTN New Member

Personally, I prefer the M57 variant from Yugoslavia.
  13. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Navy Arms made a .38 Super Cov. Kit for these guns. I had one with 3 Covs. 9mm, 38 Super and .30 Tok. The .38 Super worked great my favorite.:)good luck

RC
  14. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah Old Steve, I agree with you...I have several times come close to buying a 1903 Colt, or the General Officers Model in .32 ACP but balked at the price, and my new M57 resembles it...but it also resembles a slimmed down 1905 too...

I personally do NOT think it ugly at all, and after stripping it a few times I am impressed with it...while I would not like to work on that trigger assembly even if I could get parts, that setup IS a helluva lot simpler than a 1911...kind of "modular" before "modular" was cool...:p

And every thing that COUNTS is a pure Browning copy, right down to the cosmetics of the factory aftermarket safety...

The trigger on mine is WAY too creepy for me, but not any where near what I am used to on commie guns...and a HELLUVA lot better than the gate latch on my Yugo SKS...even though DESPITE the crappy trigger that SKS is the most accurate I have ever shot at 100...

I hope to shoot it this weekend, so I hope it at least gives me decent practical accuracy....

Plus I put somewhere between 100-200k rounds through my 1911 in the 1980s alone, probably less than five hundred through any other auto I have owned, I kinda like the controls on this one, they are where I am USED to them being...

But has anybody found a decent source for affordable magazines for it? And what kind of decent practical holster, either a strong side hip or an IWB fits it?

And has anybody played with it enough to get the magazines to fall free when you hit the mag release? I am concerned with playing with it because I think the magazine disconnect that keeps it from firing with the mag not inserted is hanging up on it causing it to hang up...the ONE change to the Browning design I don't like...:cool:

I LIKE having the ability to fire the one round in my chamber if I need to if I am in the middle of dropping a mag and pawing for a new one...

Has anybody figured out how to bypass the mag safety yet?
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  15. cappaletti

cappaletti New Member

IMHO Zastava made the best of the Tokarevs..I have an M57 and am more than pleased with this pistol..heckuva round too!