What is the best Tokarev Pistol?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by AdamMO, Feb 20, 2011.

1. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

My Friend, Your about to open one of the biggest debate on here! There are two different viewpoints on this. The first cock on the trigger is used as a safety by some, with a round in the chamber. Others swear this is inviting disaster! As to what the combloc armies did, I don't know. At nite on my side table ,I put one in the chamber and put it on half cock. I usually carry a d/a auto w/decocker.
  2. Ken W

Ken W Member

I have a Polish TT-33 and I love it. It's extremely reliable and very fun to shoot. I also have Norinco slide/barrel in 9mm so it's almost like having two guns in one. I've got to 9 mm one on at the moment, as seen in the pic below.

[​IMG]
  3. Laufer

Laufer New Member

grcsat:
    How can they be uglier than a classic 1911 .45 caliber handgun?
  4. Yosemite

Yosemite New Member

Nice case! Fits perfectly.
    Where did you find it?
  5. Ken W

Ken W Member

Actually, I don't remember for certain where I got the case. It might have been the local flea market or one of the thrift shops. I do believe both Wal-Mart and K-Mart sell similar ones though.
  6. Old Steve

Old Steve New Member

I believe it was deliberately made to visually resemble the Browning 1903, Colt 38 long, which was very common in Russia from long ago, as was the Mauser 96. For them, best of both worlds, the Browning locked-breech action can handle higher pressures than the Mauser, or so we are told, and it is much more compact and easy to handle. In 1930 Tokarev was a very senior officer in the main government arsenal, with all the samples and assistants he might desire, and he took enough time to get it right.
  7. WDfrmTN

WDfrmTN New Member

Personally, I prefer the M57 variant from Yugoslavia.
  8. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Navy Arms made a .38 Super Cov. Kit for these guns. I had one with 3 Covs. 9mm, 38 Super and .30 Tok. The .38 Super worked great my favorite.:)good luck

RC
  9. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah Old Steve, I agree with you...I have several times come close to buying a 1903 Colt, or the General Officers Model in .32 ACP but balked at the price, and my new M57 resembles it...but it also resembles a slimmed down 1905 too...

I personally do NOT think it ugly at all, and after stripping it a few times I am impressed with it...while I would not like to work on that trigger assembly even if I could get parts, that setup IS a helluva lot simpler than a 1911...kind of "modular" before "modular" was cool...:p

And every thing that COUNTS is a pure Browning copy, right down to the cosmetics of the factory aftermarket safety...

The trigger on mine is WAY too creepy for me, but not any where near what I am used to on commie guns...and a HELLUVA lot better than the gate latch on my Yugo SKS...even though DESPITE the crappy trigger that SKS is the most accurate I have ever shot at 100...

I hope to shoot it this weekend, so I hope it at least gives me decent practical accuracy....

Plus I put somewhere between 100-200k rounds through my 1911 in the 1980s alone, probably less than five hundred through any other auto I have owned, I kinda like the controls on this one, they are where I am USED to them being...

But has anybody found a decent source for affordable magazines for it? And what kind of decent practical holster, either a strong side hip or an IWB fits it?

And has anybody played with it enough to get the magazines to fall free when you hit the mag release? I am concerned with playing with it because I think the magazine disconnect that keeps it from firing with the mag not inserted is hanging up on it causing it to hang up...the ONE change to the Browning design I don't like...:cool:

I LIKE having the ability to fire the one round in my chamber if I need to if I am in the middle of dropping a mag and pawing for a new one...

Has anybody figured out how to bypass the mag safety yet?
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  10. cappaletti

cappaletti New Member

IMHO Zastava made the best of the Tokarevs..I have an M57 and am more than pleased with this pistol..heckuva round too!
  11. justbill

justbill New Member

I too would prefer a M57 if it weren't for the scarcity and resultant price for spare magazines. If I can't have at least five or six magazines, this otherwise very good pistol is off my short list.
  12. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

Only having the CZ52 while i was browsing oneday at one of my local haunts(gun shop) i seen he had two chinese norinco tokarev's with there orginal boxes and papers which still appear to be unshot. One was in 9mm para while the other was in 7,62x25 tok. I walked out with both. Months later while at another one of my haunts he had a russian tok, a polish tok and another chinese tok all in 7,62x25. I couldn't pass these up either. I later ordered a romanian and a yugo tok too. Now i need to get out and fire them. I don't see the toks for sale that often at the gun shops here. Bill

I wish someone would make a 22lr conversion kit for these toks.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  13. cappaletti

cappaletti New Member

in response..ccsportingarms.com offers the m57 magazines...I have heard varying reports about their quality, but they have a great return policy! checkem out!!!...:)
  14. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

And I'll bet they shot accurately right out of the box, and didn't require a break-in period of a few hundred rounds either...........unlike the 1911. :eek::D

Sorry, had to do it.
  15. The Count

The Count New Member

As mentioned in a separate post, all the good and cheap 7.62x25 surplus ammo (loved the bulgarian stuff) is now gone. Zilch, nichts, nada! Really dont feel like paying $12 or more for a box of 50....
  16. john_bud

john_bud Member

I had that on a tok too, until I took the trigger group out and soaked it in lacquer thinner for a couple days. I thought it was clean, but there was a lot of color coming out:eek: When it was really clean, it suddenly had a much better trigger.
  17. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

I have a Zavasta M-57,,love to shoot the 7.62 ,but I also Invested in a 9MM barrel which drops right in ,,I use the same Mag as with the 7.62 even though the round is shorter and I used to get a Jam every once in a while ,,I polished the feed ramp and the round seems to feed a lot better
  18. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

The new PPSH 43 pistol (tack weld on the buttstock) shoots the tok round. It's a Super cool "pistol". It only looks ugly till you pick one up!
  19. waynescyclegarage

waynescyclegarage New Member

I vote for the Yugo M57 because I have one and it is superb. The handle is a little longer and holds an extra round. Mine is precise and accurate and I LUV it.
    wayne
  20. warriflefan

warriflefan Member