What is the Best Way to Clean.....

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

fijfi
    (1/30/03 8:59:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All What is the Best Way to Clean.....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ....... the cosmoline out of a bunch of Sten magazines? I have about 60 Sten Mags and would prefer to not clean then one at a time

I am looking for the best cleaner to soak them in and then wipe them off. I have used diesel fuel for cleaning the cosmoline off of large diesel engine crankshafts, but not sure how it'll work on magazines. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Jamie

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/30/03 9:06:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: What is the Best Way to Clean.....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Diesel fuel or kerosene works great. I've done that before with a couple of dozen greasy Turk bayonets - put a couple gallons of diesel fuel in a bucket, throw them in, swish them around, and work on them with a stiff bristle brush. Of course - do this out in a well vented area.

Packet
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/30/03 9:08:45 pm)
    Diesel fuel or kerosene should do the job. Fill up a big bucket and throw them in for a while. Im not saying you wont have to do some scrubbing, but soaking long enough should get most of it. Gasoline works very well too, but we all know the dangers involved.

fijfi
    (1/30/03 10:20:22 pm)
    Well it sounds like diesel is the way to go. That is what I figured, but wanted to get some other points of view.

Thanks,
    Jamie

TexasVet
    (1/31/03 12:00:07 am)
    I often go to my mechanics friend's shop and use his power parts cleaner. Fast and efficient.
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club, 68-70