what is the difference....

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by merc, Jul 18, 2003.

1. merc

merc New Member

between regular ammo and cowboy ammo?
    Then I see guns manufactured for cowboy action. Can they shoot regular ammo?
    I was thinking the cowboy action ammo is produced with a lighter load and therefore less pressure. Less recoil--less energy.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Most Cowboy Action ammunition is fairly low powered to avoid accidents and damage to the targets.

The Single Action Shooter's Society rules require that pistol ammunition have a muzzle velocity of less than 1,000 fps and must use lead bullets only.

Rifle ammo must have a MV of less than 1,400 fps and have lead bullets only.

Here are the SASS Rules: http://www.sassnet.com/pages/SHBv102.pdf

As to whether modern guns made for cowboy shooting are safe with modern loads.......I would guess that they would, unless they state otherwise. Certainly the ones made by reputable manufacturers like Colt and Ruger would be safe.

You gonna be a cowboy, Merc?
  3. merc

merc New Member

Hi X
    No.. I think I will pass on being a cowboy.
    I just was not too sure of the difference.
    And...
    I have a Colt Cowboy single action army in 45 long colt. It was Colt's answer to the 400 and 500 dollar single actions on the market by traditions and Uberti and some of the others.
    Most Colt SAA's go for 800-1000.
    I got this one for 350 used.
    I wanted to be sure I could shoot a regular load though her.
    Thanks partner