What is the freest state in the union?

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Jan 17, 2009.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

A question for those of you who have traveled around and lived in different states. From your experience what has been the best state(s) for unrestrictive gun laws overall? Also, what states politicians and general population seem most sympathetic to the gun rights issue?
  2. wcorkey

wcorkey New Member

Arizona and Nevada
  3. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Alaska

We lived there in the mid through late 60's -
    I loved wearing my .44 on my hip around town and no one paying any attention, because lots of folks did that.
    The only restriction was that you had to check it at the door when you went into a bar.

Alaska has civilized a LOT since then, but they are still firmly on the PRO GUN side of the table.
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I have to agree with Alaska. Arizona is a close second.

Nevada loses out because of the requirement to register your guns in Clark County.

Pops
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Hmmmm...Where in Alaska during that time? I went up there in very early 64 and came out late 68. Granite Mountain, Cape of Prince Wales, Tannana. White Alice commo system.

Pops
  7. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

I understand Montana has the highest rate of firearms ownership in the country. I know it's NOT Ohio !
  8. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

If you want to know which is the most free state. Just check the ratings of the anti gun groups. If they give a state a good grade it ain't free.
  9. Doug.38PR

Doug.38PR Member

I don't know if I'd call that becoming "civilized." to not allow you to carry a gun on your hip to protect yourself is simply UNcivilized
  10. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow!
    You were there for the Good Friday Earthquake in Anchorage AND the great flood of Fairbanks in 67, then!

We lived in Fairbanks -
    I was stationed at Eielson for the first 18 months, then took my discharge there and stayed until the flood chased us out due to lack of a dry place to live when winter was setting in. INTENDED to go back, but got caught up and never made it -

Ever been to the Malemute saloon and listen to Robert Service poetry while sitting at a wire-spool table, drinking beer and eating peanuts?
    Lord I MISS it so -

Did you ever DRIVE back to Mt. McKinley over Polychrome Pass?
    Folks today aren't allowed to drive that route, but have to take a bus -

Ever hear of the Tanana Valley Sportsmens Association? Judy and I were the membership committee there when the ban on wolf hunting from aircraft was being debated -
    They made a ruling that you had to be a member to attend that meeting, and we missed most of it because we were both tied up most of the evening handling the LONG line of people at the door signing up for membership!

Ever go out to the University of Alaska at College and see the bear mounted in a standing position so that his belly button is about eye-ball height to visitors?

Or sit on the road around Big Delta and watch the herds of Carabou crossing for HOURS?

And the Northern Lights -
    NOTHING, no movie, no picture, no word description can express even CLOSE to how they look from up there -

I remember the fur rendevous when all the trappers would come to town to sell their furs and pick up supplies. One guy in particular was an impressive sight. He was a BIG man with greying hair. In one hand he carried a bundle of furs - in the other he carried a rifle. On his hip was a big hunting knife. And, standing with it's front feet on one shoulder and it's back feet on the other, belly above his head, was a full grown WOLF. The wolf kept looking all around with a gaze of suspicion about all the people. The man had pale blue eyes, and looked around as if he found it distasteful to be among so many people, but yet was in complete control of everything in his gaze.

People went up there to ESCAPE.
    larry Dworkin ran a pawn shop right down town Fairbanks.
    He was an older man, Jewish, and VERY intelligent.
    I learned later he was an attorney.
    Al Capone's attorney.

Another local colorful man up there had been an attorney as well before coming to Alaska.
    There had been a court ruling that was just plain unjust.
    He walked up to the bench and punched out the judge.

Oh, man, I better stop -
    I will hi-jack the thread.

Alaska, absolutely, for freedom.
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I spent almost all of my time in the bush. I spent only one night in Fairbanks, but did spend some interesting times in Nome. Sister and BIL lived in Anchorage, so I spent some time there.

I was returning from a sojurn to the Lowers in late 66. Caught the plane in Spokane and the right engine fell off the wing as we were taxiing out. Drove over to Seattle and caught the plane to Anchorage. Both right engines flamed out on taxi. Switched planes and flew up to Anchorage. Signed in and caught next morning's plane to Fairbanks. Lost power on the right engine coming past Mt. Denali, landed OK but concerned. Caught the plane for Nome and, during taxi, the right engine broke loose from the upper mounts and was hanging straight down. Spent the night in the terminal and caught the Wein cargo plane for Nome. Caught the Otter for Granite Mountain and the engine stalled just North of Moses Point and we put down at Charlie Moon's place. I walked 7 miles the rest of the way up the mountain to get to the site and still beat the plane.

This thread is drifting, isn't it. :p :D

I flew the entire trip with two pistols in my parka pockets and a rifle and a shotgun in on-board luggage. Nobody even blinked.

Pops
  12. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Umm...I think I'd stay grounded if I were you. Seems you've really stetched your flying luck a bit thin.:)
  13. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

14. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Right on, Sat.

By deductive reasoning, our list, of course, would start at the bottom..... :)

Funny how Brady, once again, did all the work and answered our question.....
  15. Those single-engine biplanes were never too reliable, ROMT. ::::hiding in bunker, closing lid:::::: :D;):p
  16. K75RT

K75RT New Member

VERMONT- they have no permit to carry concealed or open. You only need to be an American citizen and have "no malice in your heart". Any citizen of the USA can legally carry in the state of Vermont no permit no BS. Hard to believe in the liberal bastion of New England and Vt is the former home of the head of the DNC Howard Dean (Governor)......
  17. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Interesting list. Of note is Vermonts standing which is far lower than i would have expected, but what in the world is wrong with Alabama?
  18. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Hmmm....NC is 13th. I wonder why. We have to have a permit to buy a handgun. We have to have a permit to carry concealed. We do have open carry without a permit. We are not required to keep firearms unloaded or locked. We can carry a loaded handgun concealed in a vehicle with a CHP or in plain view without a CHP. I'd figure the Brady whackadoos would rate NC a lot lower than 13th.:rolleyes:
  19. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

It's not a state, but definitely D.C. The criminals own whatever they want.
  20. dge479

dge479 New Member

It ain't NJ