The Firearms Forum banner

What is the going price?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  USMC-03 
#1 ·
I just bought this S&W 15-3 .38 special from a friend as a favor and I don't think I want to keep it ~ my thing is .45 and .357 and .22.
Anyone know what I can sell it for if I decide to?
It has hardly any wear since it was his service gun when he was a LEO back in the 70's. And it is not fired very much and is very tight. No rust whatosever! Some wear on the front outside edges of the cylinder from his holster... One photo seems to show some scratches but they cannot be seen with the naked eye.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Just going from the pics, I'd say your 15-3 is in very good condition...so probably $250-$300. If a buyer gives your revolver an excellent, you may squeeze towards $400. Since it did LE duty, some history of the last owner could raise value to certain interested people who are into such things.

p.s. That's a good looking piece at any rate. If I had my hands on that I'd keep her.

G
#5 ·
The Mod 15 was one of Smith's most functional and most accurate revolver designs, Gunny. Indeed, I have one with a 6" barrel. For target work with a .38 it doesn't get much better than a Mod 15. I would go along with what the rest have said on the fair market value, $300-$350.

#7 ·
The Mod 15 was one of Smith's most functional and most accurate revolver designs, Gunny. Indeed, I have one with a 6" barrel. For target work with a .38 it doesn't get much better than a Mod 15.
Pistol, if I'm not mistaken, isn't the 6" K-frame in .38 Special with adjustable sights the model 14? I know 4" K-frames in .22LR is the model 18 and anything with a longer barrel is the model 17.

#8 ·
I'm not Pistol but the 15 is a K frame I am looking for a barel for my wifes right now and it is a 6" barrel, Id be happy with any barrel I could replace it with they are getting hard to find. Hers is split just in front of the cylinder I wanted to cry.. And there is more to changing one of these barrels besides just screwing one out and another in, there are certain toleraces that must be adhered to.. I'm still bummed
Tim

G
#9 ·
Pistol, if I'm not mistaken, isn't the 6" K-frame in .38 Special with adjustable sights the model 14? I know 4" K-frames in .22LR is the model 18 and anything with a longer barrel is the model 17.
Mine is definitely a Mod 15, specifically a 15-6 according to Smith's model number that is stamped on the frame. It does indeed have a 6" barrel and adjustable rear target sight as well. It could be that Smith has reorganized its model numbers since I bought the revolver some 20 years ago. They have been known to do that. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.