What is the longest distance you shoot your carry gun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 45nut, Jul 23, 2012.

?

Longest distance you shoot a carry gun?

Poll closed Jul 27, 2012.
  1. 10 yards

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. 15 yards

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. 25 yards

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  4. 30 yards plus

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Reflecting on last weeks tragic events, I felt I needed to shoot my carry gun - officer's ACP - further than close combat distance.

I set up a torso sized target and shot at 25', 50' and 75'. I put all but one round in the torso and one bulls eye from 25' and another from 75'. It really does a lot of good to know you can hit your target at greater than arms length.

What is the longest distance at which you regularly shoot a carry gun?
  2. ka64

ka64 Active Member

25 Yards.......
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

30+ i practice to do so from point blank out the where its ineffective

for my .40 thats 80 meters to get a hit or that close they feel it pass on a figure 11 mansize .. i generally get a hit
    at 50 i'm centre mass
    and 25 i'm which organ ? or knee cap

practice practice practice at as many differing targets conditions and draws as possible

put a coat on and draw etc etc etc , the more differing ways you send rounds down range the better you will be

night, day , practice
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Anything out to 100yds. Mostly less than 50 yards. According to the experts most
    shooting involving police officers, and civilian concealed carry permit holders,
    happen at a distance of less than ten feet, with average distance of three feet. I mostly practice these disances while moving. You can't do that at the public range, unless you are the only one there. I shoot at home. I practice strong hand, and weak hand, I just haven't figgered out how to draw my gun with my weak hand! I'm too big around!
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  5. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

My carry gun is a Sig in .380 with Speer Gold Dots. I usually shoot at both 25' and 50'. At both 25' & 50' I can put them all within the center torso area on a silhouette target. At 25' I can put 6 out of 6 in the neck/head area.
  6. chubcobear

chubcobear New Member

Up close and personal, where I had better be shooting when I have to use it.....unless I want to go to jail. 10 yards or less, mostly less.
  7. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

For fun my buddies and I will shoot at clay pigeons out to what his range finder says is about 40 yards. Most of us miss more than we hit, but hitting that 40 yard clay with a handgun makes it worth it when we do see it shatter. To be honest we tend to hit more with our full size guns and not so much with our smaller carry sized.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

we do the same but with .22 rifles , its great fun , but the shotgunners call us "puerile "
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I don't see anything childish about it Jack, we do it too!
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    25 and 50 yard targets not shot this day but if you want to know what distances I shoot at this is my range and the gun I have been carting around since 1972. I almost have the hang of it but don't worry, I will keep practicing till I get it down and do it right. Sorry about the flyer on the 100 yard target, it started raining and my rain spotted glasses made it a little hard to see the front sight.

I think any well trained policeman, military shooter trained to expert level with a handgun, a handgun hunter used to taking long shots in uncertain lighting conditions or a top competitive bullseye shooter would have made short work of this clown and probably wouldn't have had to shoot more than 50' to do it.

Front of the theater dressed in black, back lit by the screen assuming they didn't shut off the projector, air conditioning would have pulled the smoke from his grenades up and away from him. A couple of shots into his gas mask would have saved a lot of people, especially since he had to change guns once and had to reload a couple of times. His attention would have been on his gun not you. Anybody who has ever had to shoot while wearing a gas mask know his visibility was limited. Advantage to OC or CCW person.

Nope advantage to spree shooter, Cinemark has such concern for outlaws welfare that they prefer their paying clients to stay defenseless. After all everybody knows that law abiding gun owners are more likely to shoot themselves or family members with their gun and if faced with a bad man the bad man will take their gun away from them. Just call 911, problem fixed, they will be happy to show up and make reports on the incident. :banghead:
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I shoot out to 75-100m most shooting sessions... as for hitting.... well, that's not always the case, hahaha. I always pick out torso sized rocks or post a cardboard popsicle stick and tap away at it. My little SP101 in .357 will easily hit human sized objects out to 100m (no stress, 5 tries), for a 3 1/8" barrel, I'm super impressed with it.

Many of my handguns will get rounds on target at some pretty amazing distances provided you have a full cylinder or magazine. The problem is doing it under stress and in less than ideal conditions. People miss at point blank range even. Stress shoots at even 25 yards are extremely difficult for even good shooters. Most of my practice is around 0-25 feet unless I'm plinking steel, then I back off to about 20yds.

practice, practice, practice...

gas mask would for certain limit his vision making him an easier target. Not sure if I would have survived depending on position but if I had a chance to get a 17rd mag of .40 off at him, I'm sure he wouldn't go unscathed.
  12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

9mm, I shoot up close and all in between. 25 yards is the normal and 50 yards occasionally. The longest distance I've tryied and done OK was a 6" balloon at 60 yards.
    We had 4 of them set up (60yds.) and hit the first two and a few shots later, got the other two.
    I practice 10, 15, 20, 25 and 50 yards and make it a habit of shooting at the very least, twice a week, sometimes more. Always getting the .22lr handguns out shooting...'bought every day. I have my own place to shoot, so if I'm home and nothing better to get into, it's shooting time here.
  13. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I go anywhere from 7 to 100 yards. It's all relevant IMO. I also practice with both left and right handed.
  14. buildit

buildit Former Guest

I started a couple weeks ago at 15ft, I feel very confident at that range. Since then I have measured out 30ft mark. On a target printed on normal paper I can stay on the paper but am really all over the place. I keep learning new techniques for stabilizing the pistol, lining up the sights and getting a faster recovery. Maybe one of you 25 yard shooters could share some tips?

Oh, and the target below isn't with a pistol but a .22 cal AR7 at 100 ft on a 4inch diameter outer ring target.
  15. skullfr

skullfr New Member

My range is only 15yds but I practice weak,strong one-handed and firing behind and contact and firing from retention.I work mainly on a bad breath distance as it is mainly where it will be.I even have an old jacket I fire my .357 from the pocket.It is pretty ragged now.
  16. Zane71464

That's all good! One thing to get down and that is one shot at a time, getting that down and practiceing getting your groups tighter. And then faster shots.
    One thing that is the MOST improtant, is your grip control, trigger control and consistency with your grip every time.
  17. buildit

buildit Former Guest

Thanks, at the end of this video you can see my current average grouping and my stance and grip.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G79A--ewrtk
  18. Zane71464

It's all good, and each person shoots with a differnt stance as long as your consistant and it feels right. I myself like the Boxing stance and it seems my balance is more spread out and equal. Practiceing Stance, Sight picture, trigger control and Grip control with every shooting over and over and it'll tighten up your groups. Its all about constancy.
  19. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Ten yards. Beyond that I'm lucky to hit the backing board :D. You would think that if you can shoot a 5" group @ 10 yds, you'd be able to shoot a 10" group @ 20 yds. It doesn't work out that way for me.
  20. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Active Member

I voted 25 yards. I carry compacts so anything ferther than that is a real reach. Even 25 yards can be a reach depending on which weapon im using at the time.