What is the longest distance you shoot your carry gun

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 45nut, Jul 23, 2012.

?

Longest distance you shoot a carry gun?

Poll closed Jul 27, 2012.
  1. 10 yards

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. 15 yards

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. 25 yards

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  4. 30 yards plus

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Carver; thanks for that target chart!

During the Western Matches, we shot out to 50 yrds with our .45s with no problem.
    My .380 is not nearly as accurate that that distance. Just not enough "poop" in the pop.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. buildit

buildit Former Guest

That reminds me of a few years ago when a friend brought his HK91 and .45 cal semi auto out to shoot. At that point I didn't have an apple tree blocking the 300 ft shot from the back deck to the backstop. When we checked the targets I found a bullet laying on the mound! It was a poor impression of the real effective distance of the .45cal round. But in retrospect I have no idea what grain he was shooting.:rolleyes:
  3. berto64

berto64 Active Member

"100 yds" before my right eye went all blurry on me. No kidding, a 12" paper plate at 100yds. If I hit it at all a man will die. Good ol 1911s.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

At 25 yards, my target is a piece of notebook sized carboard (about) with a black
    1" circle as the P.O.A.. Usually about 1-1/2 - 3" groups, depending on caliber and hand gun.
    50 yards, a 4" black circle on a white carboard.
  5. Archie

Archie Member

What is the longest distance you shoot your carry gun?

From shooting 2700 Bullseye and PPC, shooting at 50 yards is pretty normal. I haven't done it for a while, but putting some rounds at the B27 target shown by Carver gives me scoring ring hits with my H&K USP40c. It isn't a target pistol, and I'm shooting two handed, but connecting with the target is not such a hard trick.

I also do some draw and fire exercises at closer ranges.

Ladies and Gentlemen, look at my photo. Do I look like some sort of Superman character? Does that tie conceal a Navy SEAL or Army Ranger? Nope, just a Marine infantryman of long ago; suffering from too many heartbreaks, too many calories and not enough exercise.

If I can hit at 50 yards, so can any of you who have functioning eyes, hands and arms. If you don't think you can, work at it and think again! America was founded on the desire for excellence! Be excellent!
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Really? I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to respond to this ^^ but here's the short version for your reading pleasure...

I'm not sure what's wrong with shooting a deer? It's legal to hunt here with a handgun as long as it's .24 cal or larger and 4" barrel minimum. My .458 win mag was the intended impliment but it was not handy at the time; the deer lived all of like 30 seconds max. That's better than some rifle shots I've seen. The load was 4.0gns of Clays behind a 165gn HP.
  7. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Every time I go to the range, I make a point to shoot at least one mag at 100 yards. I try to do it with the first mag, because it helps me focus on my trigger control, and my accuracy is improving. I've gone from 1/10 rounds on a 6 inch target to 4/10 pretty consistently.
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I'm not buying the 700 yd .40 cal handgun shot either. The drop on that bullet would require an elevation greater than the capability of any sighting device made, in order to hit a target at 700 yds. JMO though. What do I know?
  9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

My carry guns are full-size pistols. IMO, you should have proficiency out to

25 yards, but most actual S/D events happen at 3-7 feet.

But many times, at the range, 100 yard plinking happens...
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    My 100 yard pistol and revolver target, 11"x17" with 7" bull:
    [​IMG]

100 yard rifle target, 8"x11" with 1" bull:
    [​IMG]

15 and 25 yard target for revolver and pistols, 8"x11" with 4" bull:
    [​IMG]
  11. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

It depends on which one of my carry guns I'm carrying. I have a Sig P-220 that I carried for a long time. It will shoot accurately to 50 yards. But I rarely carry that gun now because it's too heavy. My XDm .40 is good to about 25-30 yards. I have the 3.8 barrel which cuts down on the distance it will shoot.

I have a S&W 629 with a 8 3/8" barrel that has a lot more range than my carry guns and I do carry it for woods protection sometimes. But I don't think that's what you were asking about. The longer the barrel the longer the distance the gun will shoot of course.
  12. whip

whip New Member

Normally I practice to 30 yards at my little range. But when I get the chance to shoot at 50 and out to 100 yards for fun. I got invited to shoot with local LEO this spring at the little department private range. We both shot the standard ranges then he broke out his suppressed m4 SWAT rifle and was shooting it as a demostration pretty impressive. But when he switched to the 100 yard steel traget he missed several times. I asked if I could shoot at it with my glock 17. Hit it first shot. He was shocked. Im not sure if a 9mm at 100 yards can do much damage but odds are I will hit.
  13. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Remington Golden Saber

9mm, 124-grain at 100 yards will drop 4", still have a velocity of 1021 fps and 287 foot pounds of energy. Trust me, it will hurt him.