The Firearms Forum banner

What is the modern Police equivalent of the Colt Python?

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  dbcooper 
#1 · (Edited)
Prior to the 1990s when revolvers started taking over police holsters, supposedly "every cop's dream weapon" was a Colt Python .357 Magnum. I know not "every cop" wanted one but that it was a popular item whether a cop could afford one or not or whether a department issued one or not.

Expensive, powerful, well built and fine action

What is the modern semi-automatic equivalent?

In the 1970s and 80s S&W M-10s, 15s and 19s and Colt Troopers were common and Colt Pythons were popular but not always affordable.

In the 1990s and 2000s Berettas and Glocks are common. But the Sig Sauer (especially one in .357 Sig) is expensive, powerful, well built but not always affordable.

Or maybe a Colt or Kimber 1911 .45 ACP?

Would this be an accurate assessment or is there any gun that lives up to the Python's reputation?

#3 ·
The weapons cops are issued today are top notch battle pistols. Most depts. issue Glock 22s. And the ones that don't issue Glocks issue SIG 226s. Either choice is a fine choice for an utterly reliable battle pistol.

But most of your run of the mill LEOs do not have a choice. they carry what the dept issues.

Now detectives and special police units do have a choice. Most of these guys carry some rendition of ol slabsides. I have 2 regular customers that are Detectives and both carry 1911s. Sgt Doss carries a Dan Wesson Valor Govt length, and Detective Dylan carries a Sig 1911 govt length.

So based on that, id say the coveted side arm of the armed public servant sector is a finely crafted 1911.

I tell ya what.. theres no classier way to lob 230 grains of hot copper clad lead at a badguy than a well oiled 1911 pistol.

#4 ·
Also, Sheriff Alford himself carries a TX edition SIG 1911. Which is a fine gun. And would make anyone, let alone a pride filled Texan, absolutely moist to be able to look down the sights on it..

#6 ·
The only equivalent to the colt is a S&W. The Glock is much beloved because its reliable and light plastic. I was in the industry back in the day and everybody wanted first a Hi-Cap gun, Then a plastic gun. Not because it was so much better. We all knew the 9mm was not much of a defensive round. It was light. More than a few times I lamented the 39oz. S&W on my belt. Do a shift and it gets really heavy not long in to an extra job. The 80's and 90's are gone and in this century the nine is a better round. The choices abound in many very good calibers. Still I don't think there is any one gun to compare with the quality Revolvers of the past. But todays auto loader is every bit as good, and offers what we all like, More.

#7 ·
Probably an "L" or "N" S&W but they are heavy. The Ruger's were poo pooed, but they were solid reliable revolvers. I've broken Smith's and Taurus' in the K frame size, never broke a Ruger although I do wonder about the new LCR in .357 mag, that's not a gun I'd want to put several thousand rounds of full bore mag ammo through.

#8 ·
I know most of the deputies here are carrying Glocks.

JLA: I tell ya what.. theres no classier way to lob 230 grains of hot copper clad lead at a badguy than a well oiled 1911 pistol.
However, I can't agree more with JLA on this one :) +1

#9 ·
Glock or a glock and sometimes a glock. Ever cop I know loves their issue glock's . One of my niece's husband is a small town cop in MO. I was talking to him this weekend about why they always love their glocks. He said they deal with them all day and they never let them down. They grow to trust them with their life.

#10 ·
Glock or a glock and sometimes a glock. Ever cop I know loves their issue glock's . One of my niece's husband is a small town cop in MO. I was talking to him this weekend about why they always love their glocks. He said they deal with them all day and they never let them down. They grow to trust them with their life.
Seems to me we have plenty of wonderful, reliable guns made here in Good Ole USA. Kind of pisses me off that our LEO's are being issued guns from an Austrian company rather than from our own country.

#11 ·
Seems to me we have plenty of wonderful, reliable guns made here in Good Ole USA. Kind of pisses me off that our LEO's are being issued guns from an Austrian company rather than from our own country.
I feel the same way. I don't like or own glocks myself but most cops do.

#13 ·
I know what you are saying. Smith and Wesson makes some fine M&P pistols. Springfield's though are made in Europe also

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.