What is the most accurate brand for a sporter.22 LR?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by GunsOfAllKind, Aug 21, 2007.

1. GunsOfAllKind

GunsOfAllKind New Member

3 Questions:

1. What is the most accurate sporter .22 LR bolt action out there, regardless of price (at least no more than $1,500)? I would think that Anschutz or Cooper would be the most accurate, but which one? The Anchutz has probably won more shooting competitions than any other .22 rifle; however, the Cooper M-57 comes with a 5 shot 1/4 inch group guaranty, and even Anschutz doesn't guaranty that as far as I know.

2. Also, value-wise what offers the best value in being very accurate, but still relatively inexpensive? For example, I've heard that the CZ, while not quite as accurate as the Anschutz or Cooper, is pretty darn close and a lot cheaper. But how close is it if anyone knows.

3. Finally, how do the above-listed rifles compare with an accurized Ruger 10/22 (i.e. Fajen stock, Shilen barrel, and Clark trigger job)? My 10/22 is pretty accurate, but I would think a top-of-the-line bolt gun would still be slightly more accurate. Ok guys, I will wecome all feedback to these questions if anyone knows. Thanks in advance for any information.
  2. Don Buckbee

Don Buckbee New Member

A Ruger 10-22 can be made to shoot very accurately. However, it will never be as accurate as one of the top bolt action 22's, like the Anschutz or the Cooper. The NULA 22 Rimfire rifle is accurate too.

Don
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

4. torpedoman

torpedoman New Member

had a fellow bring a new cooper up to my range it didn't shoot as good a group as my 46mb mossberg
  5. But Torpedoman, you've likely had more practice shooting . . . well, at least with Mark 48s! ;)
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

Guns, I'll offer that for a sporter, group to dollar ratio,th Cz is close to the top; many, with a little work, will outshoot twice the money spent, or more, if a bolt gun is your deal!
    If you happen upon a birch stocked rifle, target style stock, roll stamped, "Standart 150, Suhl" (Germany, East Germany), you might want to jump all over it, if a target style single shot will fill the bill; they were around $300, when I bought mine, back before anybody realised the quality in them; today they bring a bit more, but are worth it, and will shoot with anybody's mid range (price) target rifle, with ammo that suits.
    They like the older bullet profile, from Eley, and if you do not have a store, of such ammo, setting back the barrel, and re-chambering, for the newer bullet, is certainly a cheap option, for a wonderful rifle.
    Accurate enough to 'head shoot' squirrels, at 120yds, about thirty pounds of them, as I recall, and won over $300 from folks who called me names, over 'called' shots, after, in Brackettville, Tx, one Sunday afternoon, three years ago.
    You may see it called a 'Suhl', on the benchrest, and accuracy boards, but in truth it is a close, but crude, copy of the Anschutz M-54, with all the merits, less attenion to finish, and price.
    I would think an 'unmolested' example, a bargain, at $600, USD, today; many would pay more!
  7. skeeter1

skeeter1 New Member

As much as I like my Marlin 39D for everything that I shoot with it, in no way is it in the same league as my dad's old 1948 Winchester 52B Sporter. You'd be hard-pressed to find one witha scope and custom mount for $1500.

Along that line, if the last bit of accuracy is your quest, you want a bolt action. My personal choice would be a CZ and if need be put a few bucks into trigger work, a fine scope, etc., and I think it would best just about anything you're likely to come across.
  8. Tom

Tom Member

I think it would be hard to tell much difference between the top bolt guns. It would take a lot of ammo and range time to get adequate statistics to do it.
    Anschutz should be best based on rep from competition, but may not be much difference.

CZ is quite good, particularly for the money, but may not be quite up with the top guys, but you may be hard pressed to tell. I shot a 1 1/8" group at 100 yds with mine. Anschutz may do better, but does it really matter?

The Ruger 10/22 is what I call an erector set gun. You can build it up any way you want. From the factory, most versions aren't much for accuracy, but with a good barrel and trigger set in a descent stock, it becomes a wonder weapon. With the best of the aftermarket barrels, it is very close to the Anschutz. With the cheaper barrels, it is still quite good.
    I have a Green Mountain barrel on mine. Perhaps not the best, but very good for the price. I put everything in a Hogue stock. Good, but after playing musical chairs with the trigger parts, the trigger was still bad. I finally broke down and put in a Kidd trigger. Now I can get the maximum accuracy it is capable of, and with ammo it likes, the accuracy is very very good.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I own all three. For out and out accuracy my Anshutz entry level silohuette is the leader. My errector set Ruger 10/22 is Volquarten barreled, stocked, and triggered. It is not that far behind the Anshutz in accuracy. The CZ is in 17HM2 while the others are 22LR and it took some work to get the CZ to shoot well. I had to float the barrel (supose to come that way from the factory but the ocean voyage warps the stock wood so that nearly all end up touching the barrel somewhere), had to install an adjustable trigger sear and had to pilar bed the stock. Actually ammo selection made the most difference on the CZ. I ended up using Eley 17HM2 ammo to make the CZ shoot as well as the 22LR Ruger 10/22 in 22LR.

For fun I think the Volquartsenized 10/22 in 22LR is the most fun to shoot. It shoots 1/2 inch five shot groups and better all day long at 50 yds off the bench. The 10 round magazines get in the way as ten shots is not enough for a loading. You shoot and watch the bullet's landing point through the scope and shoot again and again and again. It beats single loading or even magazine fed bolt guns for ease of shooting. But the Anschutz 22LR is a little bit more accurate (I can average 3/8 inch groups or better all day long at 50 yds off the bench).

Hope this helps.

LDBennett
  10. rip3000gt

rip3000gt New Member

GunsOfAllKinds,

I have:

Anschutz model 54
    Anschutz model 1422
    Winchester 52, an older one maybe the 1940’s
    Winchester 52B late 1990’s they came out with a run of them
    Browning 52, same exact as the Winchester 52B (apparently browning bought
    either Winchester or just the rights to the gun, not sure, but Browning
    produced it a few years ago to the same exact specs)
    Kimber of Oregon Model 82 Super America
    CZ Model 452 Ultra Lux

I shoot all of these at around 100 yards from a bench rest with your average $10 for 500 round ammo. All of them will and have shot five round groupings in about the size of a nickel. (this doesn’t happen 100% or the time but does happen frequently) So depending on what you are looking for in a gun and what you are planning on doing with it, any of your top Makes and Models will be good.

As far as the cooper coming with a 5 shot guarantee, I have talked with a man who used to work with cooper and some other companies such as Kimber, who also guarantees their groupings. I believe Cooper gives you a card with the gun showing the grouping from that gun. When they test the guns, if they find one that is a little more accurate than the others, they will use that gun to shoot the guarantee cards for other guns. Not that your Cooper is less accurate, but your grouping card that comes with the gun may not be from your gun.

As far as for what gun I suggest? Any of them are great guns. In your budget don’t forget to put money aside for a good scope. If you have a poor quality scope, you have poor quality aim. If you have poor quality aim, then what is the point in the most accurate gun?

Oh and I think the Anschutz is slightly better.
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

Rip, Skeeter, there's some magic here!
    Every Anschutz I have ever examined has a common denominator; they all exhibit 'choke bored' barrels, ie, the bore gets tighter, at the muzzle.
    Every Win 52 I ever owned, shot well, but the real 'hummers' also were 'choke bored'
    My (home brewed) Stevens M-54 is a 'hummer', from the first shot, but it took three tries to buy the barrel, the first two went right back to the maker, as they did not meet my written specs. Third time was the charm, with a barrel that is .0002 smaller, at the muzzle, than the chamber, and lapped bright as a mirror, end to end; it does not foul, and shoots like a laser.
    This particular rifle hangs from a Unertl (3X) 'Small game scope', when hunted, or a Lyman "Super Targetspot", on the range; when I tell you it is capable,( if I am having a good day) of 'head shooting' squirrels, out beyond 100 yds, it ain't BS; I have a freezer full of 'evidence'!
    I have a Clyde Hart barreled 52, that shoots just as well, but it has a straight (no taper) 1.250 barrel, and weighs about 22 pounds!
    Mind you, I am NOT a professional rimfire gunsmith; for that, you need to see Bill Calfee, or someone of his ilk, but I can and do take careful notes of every good rifle I handle, as I am concerned with the 'how and why' these arms perform above the average.
    .22 rf ammo is still evolving, and, as in the case of Eley, bullet shapes are changing, on a regular basis; the shape of the chamber, as it corresponds to the profile of the bullet, must then, also change, for accuracy.
    Nearly any rifle on the planet will respond favorably to having the barrel set back, 2 threads, and rechambered with a reamer known to give good results, with a particular 'flavor' of ammo.
    I like short throats; my Stevens wil engrave all three driving bands on a chambered round, and, if not handled very gently, pull the bullet from an unfired round, if extraction is attempted, but it will shoot 1 hole groups, at 50, or 100 yds, with ammo it likes.
    If you want an accurate sporter, there seems but two options; Buy a 'Top Shelf' rifle, and pay through the nose, initially, or buy a sound rifle, and then,pay a bit more to make it 'right', for the ammo you have.
    I buy rimfire ammo by the case (usually several) when I find a 'hot' lot; I store it in a spare refrigerator, in the shop.
    When it runs out, I order another reamer, to accomodate a new batch of ammo, when needed.
    Cooper builds some fine rifles; I seriously doubt that Rip is correct in their test targets, as their product, in my experience, is of such a quality as to need no such 'assistance'; their rifles, for the most part, are sold, before they are built!
    But, the magic will always be in the details. A proper chamber, short throat, 1 1/2 degree leade, and a 'choke bored' barrel, will make almost any rifle a 'hummer', with good ammo!
  12. huntmastershaun

huntmastershaun New Member

Kimber Has a rifle that I purchased for around $1000.00 without the scope, Its the KIMBER SVT .22 Rimfire. I have had it for a year or so, and with the Scope I have on it, I can hit spent .22 casings at 100 Meters. Its an amazing rifle. check out kimbers website for different models too. http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/kimber1722/svt.php To see the guns
  13. williamd

williamd New Member

Walther kkj single if you can find one. Nicest 22 I ever owned and won a lot of matches.
  14. travihanson

travihanson New Member

I'm surprised nobody said the supermatic citation .22 competition pistol.
  15. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I was kinda looking around Baikal's website and found a couple interesting sporter/competition .22 rifles and pistols, a bit pricey, though, when imported via EAA.