What is the most accurate brand for a sporter.22 LR?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by GunsOfAllKind, Aug 21, 2007.

1. stash247

stash247 New Member

Travi, I think he's loking for a rifle!
    Based on a half a dozen Hartford High Standards, I would,however, give them their due; If I could not 'draw blood', ten for ten, at a hundred yards, with that pistol, I'd throw it away, and buy one that's not broke!
    I won a lot of money, years ago, with a Trophy, shooting bowling pins, against centerfire shooters; true enough, I had to 'neck shoot' all of mine, but then, they went down, and 'recovery time' was nil, shot to shot; you simply 'swept the rack'; at a hundred, I believe it to be far more accurate than many rifles, if one could take the shooter out of the equation!
    With 'return to battery rests', it would be a very interesting project (like I need another one) to compare this line of pistols, to current rifles, in accuracy.
    I know for a fact that they will out shoot any of my 'big bucks' 1911's, even given the smaller hole; and I'm kinda picky, about 1911's, for target w
    work!
    If I could only keep just one (rifle), it would be a Rem 40-X Sporter, in a long out of print, woodgrain, McMillan stock, wearing a set if Redfield Internationals, that are not up to it's performance; not the fault of the sights, as they are perfect, just, the rifle is that good!
    How does one improve on a rifle that consistantly performs in the fours, under iron sights?
    But, the 'down side'. I've driven a lot of cars that cost me less.
    From a cost vs return point of view, the Win 52 would rate high, out of accuracy, the CZ, higher, out of a third the cost; the Remington offerings are excellent, but pricey, ditto the elite Anschutz 54's, but more so.
    I guess it boils down to budget; when I was a young soldier, struggling to live on almost nothing, a $125 purchase was a major decision, particularly if it was for recreation, not existance, as my basic pay, as an E-5, was less than $300/month!
    Today, the numbers have changed, but a gun that costs half, or more, a month's earnings, continues to be long considered, before a decision is made;
    I am 'single', again, so there are less people to consult, but the bills still must be paid!
    Buy the best you can reasonably afford, and do the research, and the work, to make it all it can be; with a bit of help, one can shoot well, and accurately, with almost any rifle!
    "Parting Shot": My 'Offhand Gun', with the Sheutzenverein, and my 'squirrel rifle', are one in the same; a 1912 production Stevens single shot, which shoots into a consistant half inch, at a hundred, with a dozen flavors of ammo. It's a 'take down' rifle, with a two piece stock, so we all know it will never be accurate, right?
    Buy the best you can afford; build it into what you want!
  2. williamd

williamd New Member

Travi
    Recently traded a Supermatic multi bbl and agree that it is a superb handgun. .... buy "needed" a good clays gun. Did more than okay :D on the trade. Plus, first time the Citation had been out of the safe in a decade.

Love the 40X's, M52's, Anschutz's, high end Rem, ... but Walther kkj for me. Anyone got one for sale!!??:)
  3. billr

billr New Member

CZ CZ As good as any and better than most
    I tend to agree with one of the prior staements iT needS tweeking I comes with full bedding . I am not happy with 3/4 infch groups will work on it.i saw the test strip that came with it a 1/2 inch group can't recognize what amo this is
    I spelled the name of the amo.{ naboje } long rifle the gun is made off shore.
    thanks bill
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Bill, there's no sense in chasing exotic ammo, until you have worn out locally available Brands, and flavors. I find tht Eley Pistol match, in the blue box, shoots quite well, in many of my rifles; ditto that, for Wolf 'match extra'.
    Buy a box of this, a box of that, and settle on what works well, at least cost! I've shot a lot of 'possibles' with Federal 711B ammo, and maintain a stock of a couple of cases, when I find a particularly 'good' lot; just my approach.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

stash247:

You are so right! I once found this awesome Czech 22 Target ammo that shot great and was priced right. Then the supply dried up and I never found it again. So I had to find another brand that shot well in my guns.

As you said, find a readily available ammo that works and avoid the "here today, gone tommorow" brands. I find Wolf Match Target shoots well in most of my 22's. Some like Match Extra a little better but the cost factor is a killer for the Extra. I have found that the Match Target ammo is about the most ammo for the least money you can find that will shoot well in just about any gun it will cycle. At least that's my experience.

For can plinking I try to use one of the inexpensive ammos like Federal Champion or CCI Blazer. One or the other usually shoots well in most guns but at an accuracy disadvantage, sometimes as little as only a 30% reduction in accuracy.

LDBennett