what is the most common Caliber in the USA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 358 winchester, Nov 8, 2006.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I was just wondering what is the most common center fire rifle caliber in your area?
    around here in the DEEP SOUTH I think it is the 30-30 but I think nation wide it would be the 30-06
    Let's hear from you and the gun shop owners
    I want to know so that I can make sure I have one in my gun room,
    I would just hate to be uncommon :D :D
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I would imagine the 30-06 with the 30-30 in a close second.
  3. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

I was thinking 12ga or 9mm. Simply because they are used by so many cops.
  4. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

.50 cal Muzzleloader, followed by the 12 guage....

We are shotgun/Handgun only for deer during gun, but also have always had decent Muzzleloading rules, that you can use either in the 15 day Gun or 15 day ML season that follows so even BEFORE in-lines and sabots and Pyrodex came along, you were just as likely to see a guy carrying his T/C Hawken during gun season as a 12 ga, or a .44 mag revolver, or a T/C Contender in .308 or 7mm TCU....

And with the new whiz-bang in-lines, it's getting even more common during gun....

EVERY year the DNR discusses allowing centerfire rifles, and it's getting close, but last year it got "tabled' by an argument what would be allowed, and there was even a suggestion that it be limited to lever actions or single shots shooting traditional "lever action" cartridges, whatever THAT might be...

I would guess the .30-30 will get a new following if it gets passed like that....
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Here's the answer from Chuck Hawks.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/deer_rifle.htm

The top six deer cartridges in North America, in terms of factory ammunition sales, are the .30-06 Spfd., .270 Win., .30-30 Win., .308 Win., .243 Win., and 7mm Rem. Mag. All of these are popular deer cartridges, but they are clearly diverse in their capabilities.

IPT
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Although he writes in detail about most of the popular calibres, Chuck Hawk's basic summary seems to be in this paragraph:

"The .270 and .30-06 remain the most popular dual-purpose deer cartridges. Properly zeroed they offer a maximum point blank range close to or beyond 300 yards. These are fine cartridges for all-around rifles with standard length actions."
  7. Kenneth

Kenneth New Member

I think I would have to agree with the above as far as hunting guns go , but I wonder what the top ammuntion selling is ?
    30-06 , 308 , 223 , 7.62x39 , a lot of the latter there are sold in bulk and such writers as above are looking at it from the hunters view and I was just wondering if you looked at the actual number of boxes sold would you still have the same results .
    I don't know too many hunters that buy more than a couple of boxes a year of thier favorite cartrides , but I know lots of folks who have bought one or more one thousand round cases of the latter mentioned ammo .
    Anyone know if the 223 and 7.62x39 and 308 sales compete with the everyday hunting cartridges ?
    Kenneth
  8. In Colorado it would be hard to say, I think. I'm tempted to say the .30-06, yet I note that an awful lot of hunters prefer the 7mm Rem Mag or the .300 Win Mag.
  9. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Just a hunch, but in Florida I'd say .30-06, followed very closely by the .270.

Pat Hurley
  10. danurve

danurve New Member

Even though several counties have expanded to allow rifle in NY State alot of hunters including myself just use a 12 or 20 ga. With the advances & accuracy in Muzzleloaders they're very popular. The 30 cal's & .270 has a stong following in the woods.
  11. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Edit:

Ohhh, you said centerfire huh? oh well and never mind.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  12. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

In Kal, it has to be the 223 or 308, so us Conservatives can go out & shoot our "assault bolt guns" :D
  13. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Around here I would say the 30-06 or 12 gauge in a pistol I would say .40 or .45
  14. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Up North, it's a 30-30