What is the most powerful (commercial) .22lr?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Ailoth, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Orin

Orin Member

You may want to have the feed ramp's top edge honed down a bit. Same probs with my Berreta before sending it to the factory shop. Now, I find it likes the heavy bullets & stated speeds matter little. After reading quite a bit over the past year I suspect claimed speeds are somewhat inaccurate. Stick to solids rather than HPs.
  2. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I can guarantee you they are not still loaded with black powder.
  3. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Why not shoot a .222 remington or .22 hornet if that is the velocity you want? There is a round for any velocity you want in .22 dia bullet. Why re-invent the wheel?
  4. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Winchester has come up with a new line of .22 ammunition that is supposedly designed to operate the actions of the newer semi-auto rifles out there. I havent personally used it, so I cant vouch for its effectiveness.

Here is a link to it at Midway's site, which looks like they are out of stock. But yet another option to consider.
    Here
  5. BikerNut

BikerNut New Member

You know, the steel targets designed for .22 silhouette competition are only about 4-6" tall, and not very thick...

I don't think a 38-40 grain slug will do anything to a 2-ft. tall steel target, even at hypervelocity speeds, except make a cute little plinking sound.
  6. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

How about the CCI stingers? they are the only thing that my Ruger mark II will shoot.Everything else will not run the action.
  7. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

Try the heaviest bullet you can find. The faster the fps the lighter the bullet.
    That said, I think I saw that aguila does have 2000 fps. I will try to find it and publish it here, but I think it was a very light bullet. The less mass on those steel targets, the less impact to push it down. just my .02 Hope you something that works.
  8. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

I have noticed a few "tactical" 22 bullets coming out:

http://www.cabelas.com/rimfire-ammunition-cci-22lr-dry-box-1.shtml

notice that these are 40gr round nose, I would give these a try. They are pushing at 1200 fps. I would not buy the large package I have above, it was just the easiest to find. I was trying to find what I saw at dunham's but cannot. They were expensive though, and in a large package qty, so if it did not work you were out 54 bucks.
  9. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Active Member

it just aint gonna happen dude,,,, the 40grain bullet just hasnt got enough weight to knock down the larger plates,, takes a bigger bullet. have shot both rifle and pistol silhouette,, the pistol goes out to 200 meters and anthing less then .357 with 180 grain bullet wont do it. stay with the 22 for 22 plates.. if u wish to knock down the others get a biggggger gun !!!!
  10. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I have a GSG-5 and run Federal bulk, CCI Blazer bulk, and American Eagle through it with no issues. Make sure you lube the gun up. I lube it after each cleaning. Oh, I have ran CCI Minimags through with no issues either. The other stuff is cheaper and works great so I use it most of the time.
  11. X Ring

X Ring Member

The CCI Stinger is the fastest, cleanest, and most powerful 22 LR available today. If the Stinger can’t do it, you need to get a bigger gun.
  12. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I tried Stingers and Yellow Jackets when they first came out. I was unimpressed with their accuracy or rather lack of. Maybe they're better now.
  13. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

We pretty much use the CCI Velocitor for anything requiring the most energy on target. It's a full 40 gr. bullet and has a high published velocity. I get over 1,200 fps in my pistol shooting Bowling Pins with excellent reliability. I'm surprised nobody mentioned it.
  14. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

Pretty much any CCI variant works well in my experience. I haven't had any that haven't performed and have shot them all over the years. A bit more expensive than Federal bulk which works great and doesn't have the FTF of most other bulk stuff, so I use the Federal. Get decent accuracy with it too.
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I by far prefer ther CCI minimags