1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

What is the opinion of the veteran reloaders on an RCBS kit to start with

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by FloraBama, Feb 15, 2010.

1. FloraBama

FloraBama New Member

One of the local dealers close to my house has the RCBS "Supreme Master Kit," for about $400 without the dies.

I know this is more than I could get the same thing for on the internet, but this guy has 40 years of reloading experience and would be there if I had any problems. I went in to his little store last Saturday and talked with him for about a half hour and feel like he would be willing to help if I had a problem.

The kit has a powder feed and funnel, a hand primer, a scale, a lube pad, a loading block and of course a single stage press. Here's Cabela's link to the same thing:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...30301&cm_ite=0018937214924a&_requestid=147112

I was wondering how the experienced reloaders feel about having someone to go to locally for newbies?

At this point, I just want to reload 38 spec, 9mm, and 40 S&W but would eventually like to reload some rifle cartridges like 223s and 30-06s.
  2. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

I think $400. is alittle much, I would go with the cabelas kit or look at midway and see what they want for the rcbs kit. Lee reloading has a cheeper kit yet that some people seem to like.
  3. new308handloader

new308handloader New Member

I bought the exact same kit....should have a Speer manual in it also.....but I think it was less than $400.00 so you might want to look around. I will say however that the RockChucker is a great press and you won't find many that would disagree with that. Good luck with reloading, have fun and be safe.
  4. FloraBama

FloraBama New Member

I think Midway has the same kit for about $325 with shipping, but I was wondering, as a newbie, if it would be worth it to have a local "go to" guy if I ran into a problem.

Maybe I'm being over caucious. I've read the Lee Reloading Manual and have read hundreds of posts here and have watched dozens of youtube videos, so I feel like I could get going, but was just worried about something unexpected coming up.
  5. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I started out with (and now have 2 kits) the Lyman T-mag 2 kit. Orange (and gray) vs. Green can be a major debate for some people, though. LOL. I would recommend checking out one of Lyman's kits. It never hurts to compare. Also, I would assume that this guy would still be willing to help, if needed, no matter if you bought the set-up from him or not.
  6. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

as far as having a local guy for adviceit may be worth the extra 75 bucks. however you can get all the free advice here.
  7. army mp

army mp Member

8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The bad thing about buying a kit is you usually end up buying things you don't need that are included in the kit anyway, and you don't get some of the things you do need.

All of this from MidwayUSA, you get the turrent press instead of a single stage. If you follow the reloading manual, there won't be any problems. Included are a scale, a reloading manual, a powder measure, a bullet puller, and a priming tool. You can add to this list a reloading tray of what ever type and size you want, and dies.

Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" Reloading Manual
    Product #: 484416 In stock $13.99
    | Manufacturer #: 9027

Lee 3 Hole Turret Press with Manual Index
    Product #: 405548 In stock $67.99
    | Manufacturer #: 90496

Lyman Pro 500 Magnetic Powder Scale 505 Grain Capacity
    Product #: 781073 In stock $47.99
    | Manufacturer #: 7752222

Lee Perfect Powder Measure
    Product #: 540522 In stock $18.99
    | Manufacturer #: 90058

Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller
    Product #: 215517
    | Manufacturer #: 836017 In stock $14.79

Lee Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool
    Product #: 807875 $12.99

Total cost for everything listed above: $176.94
  9. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Having a local "Guru" to go to when starting down the reloading road is priceless. You can get tons of friendly information on this forum but nothing replaces face to face when starting out.

I started with a RCBS Rock Chucker kit over thirty years ago and still use for my reloading activities today. I don't think you would go wrong with any of the popular brands. I find a tremendous amount of brand loyalty with the reloading equipment and think that is great but also think there isn't a bit of difference in the process or the finished product produced by the various manufacturers.

You are going to recover any price differences after the first few boxes of reloaded ammo so get what you like. If you are like the rest of us you will find you like one accessory better than another and will have a cabinet containing those things you no longer use. It is a great hobby enjoy. And read, read, read.
  10. jrs1911

jrs1911 New Member

What I saw when I purchased my equipment was that the kits contain the bottom of the line quality. For example, the powder measure base would be made of plastic instead of metal. I purchased the piece parts at a local supply store and was able to negotiate the approximate internet price even though I had to pay sales tax. I got better quality for about the same price. There are a bunch of reloading manuals out there and I would get at least two. I purchased the Speer and the Lyman. Of the two, I liked Lyman best. I thought it had the best explanations of each step of the process.
  11. Waldog

Waldog Member

I have used a RockChucker press for 45 years. It's a great press. However, while looking for a loading setup for my son, the Lyman Crusher package caught my eye. I think the Lyman is a better value for what you are getting. Lyman package includes a case trimmer. All for about $307. Try http://www.grafs.com/product/264753

Also, get Lyman's 49th edition loading manual. There's none better to start out.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  12. RedPepper2

RedPepper2 New Member

Reloading equipment is a "life time purchase". RCBS is, in my opinion the Cadillac brand. I purchased other die sets when I was young and non-informed and found them to be inferior to RCBS. I recommend RCBS unless your on a hamburger diet. Have fun!
  13. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

OUCH! Now THATS a slam against the other companies! LOL. Are you talking about dies sets only? Or all the equipment? As for both dies and equipment, Hornady, Lyman, and RCBS are pretty much even, above Lee and still below Redding. And then theres Dillon, or top of the line. I was not on a "hamburger diet" when I purchased any of my equipment, with the majority of it all being Lyman. The only eqipment I do not use is Lee. I am not saying that no one should, or shouldn't, just that I won't. There is nothing wrong with RCBS, but to call them the "cadillac" and superior to all others is a bit much.
  14. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I would have to say it depends on the calibers you plan on reloading. If you are going to load pistol ammo I would recommend starting with at least a turret press. In my experience if I would have started with a single stage press I would have out grown it in a few weeks.
  15. Nalgi

Nalgi New Member

thats what I started with. Its affordable and has everything you need to get started