what is the purpose of the bayonet?

Discussion in 'The Pump House Saloon' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/5/02 2:24:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All what is the purpose of the bayonet?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i made a post in general discussion about bayonet training in the army, which brought back a fun moment during this training. now, keep in mind that we were a buch of youths coming to grips with the harsh conditions of boot camp: the conditinoing, the "loss of control" as it were, discipline, push ups, etc etc etc.

not lost on any of us was the seriousness of our training. many of us never really before pondered the taking of another person's life. let alone perons' lives... and here was multiple football fields of us recruits doing bayonet training. just like in the movies... with lots of space between us and drill sergeants in towers directing our movments as well as a few roving through making sure individuals are doing things properly.

we're doing our prescribed thrusts and slashes to order and the voice on the PA will repeat a few code phrases to get all of us to reply in unison. our report is typically deafening and always motivational. Drill Sergeant: "what is the purpose of the bayonet" thunderous chorus: "To KILL, drill sergeant, to KILL". note that we replied "to kill" *pause* then we do the Title, "drill sergeant", then you repeat the response, "to kill".

after a couple hours of ou rtraining and we were mastering the techniques, there is spare mental process. and we started to find some levity to help keep us going... and partially to distract us from the morbidity of our task. and our response slowly and subtly changed... Drill Sergeant shouts on the PA: "what is the purpose of the bayonet" thunderous chorus: "To-KILL-drill-sergeants, to KILL". this is where we're saying through our inflection that the purpose of the bayonets is to kill drill sergeants (said rapidly) then we pause and repeat "to kill". it happened again and again maybe 10 more times over the next half hour.

of course we didn't *really* mean it, but drill sergeants sure can be mean! there was some mild humor in this with the occasional light chuckle... but what made it more special is that the drill sergeants liked it, too. they started smiling and then practically chuckling with us. then we did push ups later.

well .... i hope it's funny to y'all... at least it still brings a smile to my face.

chris in sandy eggo

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/5/02 3:35:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: what is the purpose of the bayonet?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It did bring a smile to my face. How well I remember sweating in the hot humid SC sun on a parade field doing bayonet training.

I really think Ft. Jackson was below sea level when I left there from all the pushups I did.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/5/02 3:41:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: what is the purpose of the bayonet?
    "FIX BAYONETS!"

Your kidding..........right??

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/5/02 5:58:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: what is the purpose of the bayonet?
    dang, Pig. ... we were BOTH there!!! last half of summer, too. two men gave their lives to heat stroke just before i was there in 88, so we got to carry 2 full canteens at all times. one in a cargo pocket the other on the belt.

LTS, yup, if they're issued. better know how to use `em. other than actually shooting, bayonet training was my favorite part of boot camp. probably mostly because it really reinforced "the point".

hmm, another fond memory of boot camp... "fam fire". being last in line and a good shot, i got to finish off the box of m203 practice rounds at the end of the day. within three shots, i could get the round to go *in* doors and windows of the target vehicles.

chris in sandy eggo

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/5/02 6:01:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: what is the purpose of the bayonet?
    I was there the summer of '85.

My M203 round bounced off the APC I shot at.