The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What is the value of my .300 Savage model 99

87K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  MooseDown 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Good day,
I have a .300 Savage Model 99. I was hoping that you could give me some more info on my rifle. I have looked into the serial # (6276xx) but there is nothing that I could find that has serial #s that high. I found a list of the lever boss codes (3D) and what I read says that it was manufactured in 1952. Is that right? It is stamped with .300 Savage Model 99, (3D), 6276xx, Chicopee Falls. It has a wood forestock and but, with checkered details on both. It has a metal but plate, it is lever action with an internal rotating mag with a side counter. It has iron sights. The metal is in good shape and all the bluing is in good condition (95%), the wood stock and but are in good shape, they have minor dings and scratches, obviously from use. I have had it for 8 years and I barely use it. I am looking at selling it. Before I do I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you could assist me with. 1st what year and model is it? 2nd what is its value? Thank you very much

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
that's in better shape than most, I would think you could easily get $400 out here anyway in the northwest; they seem to be commanding a high price out here for some reason. .300 savage is the most common chambering in these guns but in that condition you have a nice rifle. Bore condition will also make a difference.

I turned down my dream 99 last year, guy had my ever wanted .250-3000 in good shape for $450, got cheap at the wrong moment.

Featherweights and the less common chamberings can command upwards of $900+

Reactions: Big Mak
#4 ·
A 1952 Model 99 EG. Your reading of the lever boss code is correct. This model is the one of the most produced model variations there are in it's most common chambering. If this was in 308W, you'd really have something. But not in 1952.

It looks like an honest,well used, rifle. I don't think this will interest collectors so that market goes away. Having said that, if it's drilled and tapped for a scope mount, that could help it with someone wanting to hunt it. Hunters will want to know what shape the bore is in and does the rifle work properly. Is the lever tight to the frame when up? Is the butt stock cracked behind the upper tang. Many are.

I'd put it on your favorite auction site start it a zero and see where it ends.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
A 1952 Model 99 EG. Your reading of the lever boss code is correct. This model is the one of the most produced model variations there are in it's most common chambering. If this was in 308W, you'd really have something. But not in 1952.

It looks like an honest,well used, rifle. I don't think this will interest collectors so that market goes away. Having said that, if it's drilled and tapped for a scope mount, that could help it with someone wanting to hunt it. Hunters will want to know what shape the bore is in and does the rifle work properly. Is the lever tight to the frame when up? Is the butt stock cracked behind the upper tang. Many are.

I'd put it on your favorite auction site start it a zero and see where it ends.
Where is the model Boss Code located?
Regards

Brian

#5 ·
Nice.
I haven't had one since the '70's.....hunted the
hell out of northern Vermont with it, deer and even
their small bear.
The action was on the noisy side, I didn't care for the
'tab/tang' on the lever that you need to slide to cock it,
but the rotary mag was always functioning at 100%....
first rotary mag I ever saw...
The 'window' in the breach gave you a count of how many
rounds were in it, although I don't know if it was accurate
for count, I never paid any attention to it, but the round
count window is the reason the rifle was deemed '3D'.
I also remember...it kicked like a mule.....

#8 ·
Hey guys, just wondering about my 2 300's.. I have one(my main rifle for the last 15 years) and I new one I just acquired last fall which is obviously newer.. My older one is a 3 piece breakdown savage.. Got some dates stamped on it a "Utica. N.Y , USA. PAT'D May 25 1903 June 1. 1909".. So I know that's the patent date but would that tell anything towards the age of the gun? Serial number starts 312xxx.. Boss code from what I understand is on the front side of the lever. "M"..
I can post a pic of need be, I'm not looking too sell, this is my rifle that will get passed down to my kids but it would be interesting to see a ballpark price too..
So if anyone can give me a little more info about my breakdown 300, that would be great.
Thanks in advance folks..

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.