The Firearms Forum banner

What is the value of my Savage Model 99F lever action?

31K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  SilasW 
#1 ·
I have a Savage Model 99F 308 cal level action rifle. This rifle is in excellent condition and has been owned by me for the last 48 years. It has a Bushnell 3X9 power scope on it and has killed many deer. It has checkering on the butt and for arm of the stock. The strange thing is that is has engraving on both sides on the metal. I have looked all over the internet but cannot find another rifle with this engraving. Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle serial number 9289XX

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Gun Shotgun Revolver Air gun

The only one that I know of with engraving is the 99k.
If you want a value on it we need to see more pictures and close ups of it.
Mike[/QUOTE]
I have added another photo. The engraving on the rifle is the one I show in one of the photos. It is on both sides.

#4 ·
This is probably what what goofy was referring to, when he said you needed more pictures:

Please describe the item in as much detail as possible.

Detail does not mean "in good shape" ,describe how the wood is, how much blueing (% of original finish left) there is etc., and anything else you see that may be helpful.

Tell us all marking, words, and letters anywhere on the gun.

PICTURES are required. Clear, sharp pictures....full length, both left and right sides, as well as closeups of any unusual features, engraving, etc.

Here's How: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=19430

Example:

If you have an old gun and the markings on it are E over LG then the gun was made in Belgium.

You may try doing a SEARCH and find your gun value. If not, START A NW THREAD instead of bringing up an old post that has already been answered. THE OLD POST MAY BE IGNORED..

Our entire range of staff, are more than happy to assist you, as well as many of our membership in general, in order to try and answer your questions.

This forum is for firearms values only. Anything else will be deleted.

All members are invited to participate but no guessing. We prefer you use the Standard Catalog of Firearms. It's much closer to real value than Blue Book. Blue Book is better for trade values.

Our experts work hard to give you an accurate value on your firearm so give them the info they need.

No offers to buy or sell in this forum. We have a Buy/Sell/Trade Forum for that.

Any attempt to buy or sell on this forum will result in your suspension from TFF.

If your post is removed it's because the guidelines were not followed

#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
This rifle is in excellent condition. The stock is in great shape with no scratches or digs. The blue is not worn off anywhere but there is a slight lightly worn spot under the gun where the engraving in the metal is. When you carry the rifle with one hand it is where you grip it. Some wear on the lever as well. There are a few spots on the barrel that look like some speckles of rust might have tried to form at one time but unless you look real close you would never see it. I would say that 98% of the blue is in great shape. Someone who really knows how to clean and polish up a gun would make this one look like new.
Yes the engraving is similar however I notice the for arm part of the stock is a little different. Maybe the one in the photo is a little older than mine.

#12 ·
The 2014 Standard Catalog of Firearms shows three different Savage Model 99-F. The serial number range on the first two shown, which are Model 1899F, do not reach the number you have listed, they only reach 398,000. The third one (Model 99F) shows no serial number range at all. The picture in the book does not look like yours in that there is no checkering on the stock. The value range on that model run from $75 in poor condition up to $1000 for excellent condition. The book also says that the 99F is the first Savage made that shows the model designation visible on the outside. It would be located on right rear of barrel. Sorry I can't help you more, I am sure that some of our experts will be along and will be able to tell you what you need to know.

#13 ·
I have a 99F in 308 and it is just a good old gun without all the dressings. I feel that mine is at least a $600 gun.
I think if you took that thing to one of the gun shows with some collectors they would follow you around like you were in heat. I look at a lot of 99's and that one is very special!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.