1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

What is this "Defender" Revolver...

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by acwrelics, Jun 22, 2011.

1. acwrelics

acwrelics New Member

Does anyone know what this is and when they were produced.

Attached Files:

• 032.JPG
      032.JPG
      File size:
      64 KB
      Views:
    • 033.JPG
      033.JPG
      File size:
      54.1 KB
      Views:
    • 034.JPG
      034.JPG
      File size:
      56 KB
      Views:
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I bet it is a single action spur trigger revolver, small frame, made in .22 short rim fire, that is also missing the cylinder pin. Manufactured by Johnson and Bye 1871-1899. Not safe to use with modern cartridges even if it was complete. Value in that condition would be minimal, perhaps 25 to 35 dollars. Hope that helps. It was sold under a variety of names and is considered a suicide special, good for one shot to escape the peril's of the world ( however I don't think I would use a .22 short black powder cartridge to do the job myself.). Sold for about a $1.50 when brand spanking new. Hope that helps
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

According to Bill Goforth's book, the first model Defender was made 1873-1888, and the small frame .22 was smooth bore. However this one does not have the distinctive Johnson & Bye/Iver Johnson tear-drop shaped blade front sight, and lacks the slight step down of lower front frame shown in book, so may have been made by one of the many other firms then turning out spur trigger revolvers.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I was going by the first cartridge models, 71 to 99 but your right, the first spur trigger model was from 73 to 99. I think this is the 89 series and the front sight is gone also, leaving just the stub or a replacement. Other wise it looks just like the small frame, birds head on page 5 { except the one in the book is a lot cleaner. }
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011