What is this gun? Cant find info! Please help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gunguy22, Jan 21, 2012.

1. gunguy22

gunguy22 New Member

Hey guys I found this in my wife's grandfather's gun safe. He has moved on to an assisted living facility and I am taking care of liquidating his firearms. I haven't been able to find any info on what this is and if its rare. I assume it is, but you never know. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Sadly any talk of firearms gets him in a stir so I can't just discuss it with the old man.

Please note that there is some damage to the tripod. One arm is broken almost at the base, and the other broken near the foot. I've figured i'll need to take the one good arm to a machine shop and have replicas made. If anyone has recommendations on parts that would be great.

It appears to be .30 carbine, but i'm not even positive on that. I found magazines that fit it, as well as .30 carbine ammo.

Attached Files:

2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

That is a "Gatling Gun" kit designed to fire two M1 carbines simultaneously. It was manufactured by CALICO in the 1980's.
  3. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

That's cool man!
  4. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

They're a blast! A few years ago, a friend and I built one of the kits that use two Ruger 10/22s. That's what I thought this one was at first glance, but the mag well shows otherwise. This is probably a hoot to shoot but could get a little costly. You can sure go through a lot of ammo rather quickly and it's not hard to do so 'cause it's so darn addictive. :)
  5. bmpeele

bmpeele New Member

That's pretty darn cool....
  6. gunguy22

gunguy22 New Member

Thanks for the responses guys! I have seen the 10/22 kits and knew this was similar but I could not find a kit for .30 carbine anywhere. I'll do some research on Calico and see what else I can find.

The trigger underneath will activate both triggers simultaneously but I can't get the crank to do anything. The bar it's attached too just seems to spin. A friend told me it was to lift it up and down but that does not seem accurate.
  7. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever Member

Just looking at the pics, it could allow you to operate the guns Gatlin style. A more to the effect of full auto, but still legal.
  8. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

It does appear that the horizontal shaft has eccentrics on it that would over-ride the trigger, possibly, giving it that full gatlin effect.
    It is pretty cool looking. I've seen the kit for the 10/22 but just don't want to swing the 400 bucks plus 2 rifles just to go play.