What is this gun worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Mr_Shamrock, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

My father has a Harley for sale and he is always in for interesting trades. He was contacted by a guy with a State Arms .50 BMG Rifle. It supposedly has a $500 scope, upgraded bipod, and a few hundred rounds of armor piercing ammo (he claims they are $10 each). He says it has only been fired a dozen times. I am just repeating the text from the guy so I haven't seen or verified any of it. Any idea's what it's worth and how easy/difficult it will be to resell. My dad definitely does not have use for this monster. I told him I didn't think there was a huge market for them, but I haven't ever messed around with the larger caliber rifles. Thanks in advance!
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The market is not "huge" in part because many of us have nowhere we can shoot that rifle. The range officers around here would have heart attacks if someone showed up with one of those.

As to value, the guns are in current production. Here is a link to the company and you can see the models and retail prices which will give you some idea of the value of that gun. It sounds like the ammo alone could be about equal to the value of the rifle.

http://www.statearms.com/

Jim
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

OK AP ammo $10-$14 a round check ( but many ranges wont let you shoot it )

a $2500 rifle should keep its vale some what but these have sold for $1600 with a lot of accessories online from a quick look thou some are bringing $2200 with bipod scope and kit

do a run of average sales online , that will give you the best idea, i took a quick look and found 11 semi recent sales ( past 6 months)

depending on the ammo , yeah theres a buck
  4. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

Thanks for the link, I was on that site earlier and didn't know how well they would hold their value on the used market. He is asking $3500 for his bike so it is probably close, but like I told him, there is probably 100 buyers for the Harley for every 1 on the rifle. BUT this was just my initial gut feeling so I thought I better check with the pro's before he turned the deal down. They are supposed to talk about it tomorrow. My opinion is still to pass and wait for a cash buyer on his bike. The bike is pretty nice so I don't think he will have an issue getting his asking price or close to it. Thanks again!
  5. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

Thanks brother - with that bit of info he would be crazy to trade straight up.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

ok 200 x $11 a round = $2200

rifle on bad day $1600

$3800..

but i'm a wheeler dealer type

i'd push $2k on the rifle and $12 on the ammo

may even be worth taking to a MG shoot and get $14 a round like i seen last time .. ;)
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Hey from what i'm reading many folks buy these to show off and dont realise how much gun they are buying ( my interpretation only of a couple forum posts in for sale sections ) , i carried a barret for a while , you dont shoot them willy nilly at all they hurt unless properly set and even then a all day shoot is a strain on anyone ..

so many get sold as they want bucks back and find few buyers

but i'd be tempted as i dont mind waiting a bit ..

but thats me ,
  8. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

Will the ammo bring that on the 2nd hand market? If so, then maybe he should consider it. I know if a cash buyer came around he would take $3000 for his bike. I have to admit it would be cool to give the .50 cal test at the range. I have never fired one so it is on the ole bucket list. My dad is the king of wheeler dealers so he may get the guy to throw in some cash or they talked about some other guns the guy has as well. He told the guy that they could take it down to our local gun shop and whatever the shop was willing to pay for it he would give him $500 over (since he has $500 to play with on his asking price of the bike anyway). And then the ammo would just be a bonus. I had no idea that ammo was so expensive!
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

double check your legality on it all too eh , US be getting funny recently eh ...

just checked the ammo , thats changing fast seems theres been a heap of Argentine .50 amour piercing been selling in the US ( argentine EVERYTHING ) , lot's on wholesale and may be on the market there now , so forget what i said earlier , i shoulda checked current pricing , i aint bought .50 in a year . sorry
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  11. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Wish I had a few grand to spare - I'd buy it! Around here I could shoot it too! :)
  12. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

If that things full auto though it needs the $200 tax stamp
  13. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

Thanks brother! At least we have some value's to go by now.
  14. Mr_Shamrock

Mr_Shamrock New Member

Another good point to take into consideration!

I wish we had the acreage for it!!!