What is this old Double Barrel?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MtPockets, Jul 23, 2011.

1. MtPockets

MtPockets New Member

Hello, Thank you for your time for looking at this gun.
    It measures 46 3/4 long
    There is lots of fine inlays & designs in the metal I was told it was a early 1800 english made.
    The left hammer pulls back and releases with the trigger the right one does not....
    Any Info,Value would be greatly appreciated! Thank you again
    Mike
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the link to the album with 26 photos
    http://s559.photobucket.com/albums/ss31/123ezdeals/Double Barrel/
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. MtPockets

MtPockets New Member

I cannot find any markings, stamps or numbers
    Intent to sell this item later
    Thank you again
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

You have a percussion double probably from 1840-1870 period.

If it's English or other foreign make, the proofmarks will be on underside of barrels hidden by the stock. To remove barrels and check, remove the ramrod and carefully tap out the flat cross key in the forestock. I can't tell from your photos if it has a patent breech or not, and you may have to remove the tang screw also.

Value will be as a decorator, maybe a couple hundred tops.
  4. MtPockets

MtPockets New Member

Thank you for the reply!
    I had a fella a long time ago look at this gun and research it but forgot most of what he said....I thought he recalled saying it was a 1809 or 10 built by a very famous gun maker dutch maybe?...said it was very rare worth 1k+ he said it wouldn't take much to shoot even with the cracked stalk...but said it was still worth that much and is highly collectible.

I will go about looking at what you suggested to find more info on the barrel.
  5. MtPockets

MtPockets New Member

6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

If it is European made, then it will be so marked. Right now from the pictures it appears to be more of a relic, the wrist of the stock is broken and looks ready to fail completely plus the barrels have become unsolder ed. The firearm needs a lot of TLC. I also believe 200-250 would be very generous.
  7. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

The small crown over crossed scepters marks are Birmingham proof marks, so it is English and a shade above the usual Belgian examples, but "very famous gun makers" marked their products...
  8. MtPockets

MtPockets New Member

Thank you very much for the knowledge!
    I do not plan on shooting it... Just interested in specifics on name, year, maker etc selling details a buyer and seller would like to know, is it a collectible or decor worth a couple hundred or is it rare and worth more?
    After I'm confident on what I have, would you suggest listing on here in classifieds or sell on *********.com etc I'm not in a jam to sell it, but would like the most value from it and know its in good hands.
    F.Y.I. for laughter, My grandfather purchased this at a auction in Arkansas in the 60's for $10
  9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

250 tops, IF you can find anybody that wants it. It wasn't made before 1830, more likely after 1850.
  10. duck32man

duck32man Member

I have a percussion double barrel with Joseph Golcher locks. I just took the barrel off and was able to take some pics. Pic 3 has an oval mark with letters but its hard to see at first. Hoping someone can identify the marks. BTW how do you reduce the picture size? Thank you

Attached Files:

11. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The three letters in the oval are ELG which is a Belgian black powder proof.
  12. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Despite the Belgian barrels, your gun was likely stocked and assembled in USA, as Joseph Golcher was a lock maker in Philadelphia, and by mid 19th century most "gunmakers" of such utility grade guns used ready-made locks and other hardware.

Has the stock been extended? Might be a butt pad but looks like wood in the photo.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  13. duck32man

duck32man Member

Thanks for the info. Yes, it at some point in its life somebody extended the stock. Any idea as to rough value? Also what do the numbers represent in pic 2. Looks like18.6. could be a 9 or 0 instead of 8.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  14. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Your gun looks sound enough to be a black powder shooter if checked out OK by a gunsmith, and might bring $250-$300.

I believe 18.6 is the bore diameter in millimeters, and approximates a 12 gauge.
  15. duck32man

duck32man Member

Thanks much hrf.