What is this worth

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Wildduk, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Wildduk

Wildduk New Member

My father has a S&W 38 special that he wants to sell but has no idea of whats its worth....

Its a 1971 S & W 38 special 14-3....It in the origional box and has only been fired about 3 times....Its in perfect condition....I think he also said that it was designed for target shooting, not sure what that meant if anything...

I can get more details if need be, but would like to know what he could sell it for...

Thx
  2. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Bleu book sayd $400 or a bit more but depending on barrel length it can be a good bit more or less. Pictures help a lot. As to still in the box, how has it been stored and has being stored damaged the finish ion any way such as has it drawn moisture at all. any freckling on finish distracts from values. As a WAG it should bring $400 to as much as $550 depending on barrel length UNLESS it has the 8%3/8s barrel which I saw one sell in 98% condition the other day for $300. Not a desirable barrel length hurt it. NOW if you had sold it 10 years ago, probably gotten a lot more nbut not as many want 38 target guns especially in this area.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Hello Wildduk, welcome to the forum, hope you stay with us a while.

A picture would help with the ID and condition. Without knowing anything about your pistol, all I can do is look at the Blue Book of Gun Values and take a guess. I see that a model 14 can be worth between $185 and $550 according to the condition. You said that one has only been fired 3 times so I can assume that it is in 98 to 100% so it would be in the upper part of that range. BUT as I said this is just a SWAG (scientific Wild a$$ guess).
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

If the gun is in the condition you say it is, I think here in AZ you could get 600 for it. One of the finest guns S&W ever made ( just in MHO ). I plan to be buried with mine or else they will have to pry it from my cold..... well , you get the ideal. Take it out and shoot a box of wad cutters in it, If you are careful you wont hurt the value and you may decide to take it away from your father.:D