what is this

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by mrjeffp36, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mrjeffp36

mrjeffp36 New Member

need help looking to see the value,for sale if interested. states western usa w49 - limited edition 165 of 1950

Attached Files:

2. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

Probably need more info. First impressions..... it looks like something someone got from the NRA catalog or somewhere like that. if so, maybe $200 - $250
  3. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

well, I looked around online and the western w49's I saw were going for around $150 - $200. They didn't have the cool stuff yours does but some had nicer handles. Hope this helps.
  4. mrjeffp36

mrjeffp36 New Member

5. stede

stede Member

Piece of junk fantasy Bowie with fancy fake embossing... worth less than the cost of the frame, IMHO.
    Your mileage may vary....
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    OP says it is a western usa w49 - limited edition 165 of 1950. It does look like some of the $15 junk knives you see at the Flea Markets, but it's probably not.
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Western made a LOT of big Bowie type knives, some of them pretty hefty about that size, right up until the Mid 80s sometime.

The retailer I worked for carried Western Knives and when they either went out of business or we just went to cheaper knives for sale they sold them CHEAPLY on clearance and I bought a TON of Western knives that I traded or sold over the years, including one Bowie about that size without engraving that we sold regularly for $49.99 back when $50 was real money.

My current hunting knife is a drop blade Western W84 from the last bunch of "clearance" knives I bought, and it's a damm good drop blade hunter...Western at one time was a QUALITY Knifemaker, just without the following of Case or Kabar or whatever..,

...which when I just went and pulled it from the sheath to see the Model, I found out I never CLEANED it after I cut up my button from last season:eek:

Good thing it is STAINLESS, and THANKS for making me go look at it...now I think I will go WASH it....:p