1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

what is this

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by odffirefighter, Oct 12, 2011.

1. odffirefighter

odffirefighter New Member

So i just got this gun and am curious about it. The guy told me it was a lightning but i cannot find another one with the square grips on it. I made it new grips last weekend out of maple because the fake stag ones were cracked and broken and i get bored really easy. I got it for a steal and it has MGM stamped on the frame. Its been re-nickled so the patent is lost under the nickle just wondering if anyone had any input on it. Another thing would be neat if there was a way to track if it actually came from mgm and a way to prove that it did. Everything works both single and double action. Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

to me it seems a colt lighting double action revolver but with a very different butt than i'm used to seeing , 450 of these where bought by the Customs service here but the butts had rounded rears ,

i bought one but traded it a few years back and then gun control hit so i am limited how many hand guns i can own now but it was a fine shooter , and i think yours despite the work looks great

manual for that is here

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  3. H-D

H-D Active Member

I think the back strap has been changed if I remember correctly the peacemaker backstrap would fit the lightnings
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

arrhhhh that'd explain it .. cheers H-D
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

and now that i been made to look the Colt single action army back strap fits too !!!!

[​IMG]
  6. H-D

H-D Active Member

was looking into getting a lightning backstrap for my 1851(repro) but could never find a source for one

Peacemaker is just another name for the single action army or 1873 Colt should have said so, sorry
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

and to be honest , i prefer the angled butt rather than the rounded one

the rounded butt was hmmmmmmm at best , but this one looks way better ( just my opinion )
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

HD i ran across a guy making parts for colts , i'll see if he made backstraps for these and let you know , i gotta go through the business cards from my last US trip though , gimme a couple days , but remind me too if i take too long ..
  9. H-D

H-D Active Member

Don't worry about it I went a different direction and just sofened the back edge where it dug in my palm and I like it pretty good
  10. ofitg

ofitg New Member