what is this

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by odffirefighter, Oct 12, 2011.

1. odffirefighter

odffirefighter New Member

So i just got this gun and am curious about it. The guy told me it was a lightning but i cannot find another one with the square grips on it. I made it new grips last weekend out of maple because the fake stag ones were cracked and broken and i get bored really easy. I got it for a steal and it has MGM stamped on the frame. Its been re-nickled so the patent is lost under the nickle just wondering if anyone had any input on it. Another thing would be neat if there was a way to track if it actually came from mgm and a way to prove that it did. Everything works both single and double action. Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

to me it seems a colt lighting double action revolver but with a very different butt than i'm used to seeing , 450 of these where bought by the Customs service here but the butts had rounded rears ,

i bought one but traded it a few years back and then gun control hit so i am limited how many hand guns i can own now but it was a fine shooter , and i think yours despite the work looks great

manual for that is here

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  3. H-D

H-D Active Member

I think the back strap has been changed if I remember correctly the peacemaker backstrap would fit the lightnings
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

arrhhhh that'd explain it .. cheers H-D
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

and now that i been made to look the Colt single action army back strap fits too !!!!

[​IMG]
  6. H-D

H-D Active Member

was looking into getting a lightning backstrap for my 1851(repro) but could never find a source for one

Peacemaker is just another name for the single action army or 1873 Colt should have said so, sorry
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

and to be honest , i prefer the angled butt rather than the rounded one

the rounded butt was hmmmmmmm at best , but this one looks way better ( just my opinion )
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

HD i ran across a guy making parts for colts , i'll see if he made backstraps for these and let you know , i gotta go through the business cards from my last US trip though , gimme a couple days , but remind me too if i take too long ..
  9. H-D

H-D Active Member

Don't worry about it I went a different direction and just sofened the back edge where it dug in my palm and I like it pretty good
  10. ofitg

ofitg New Member