What is WWII 30 carbine worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mightyoz, May 10, 2012.

1. mightyoz

mightyoz New Member

I was just wondering if someone could help me find a value for my 30 carbine. This gun belonged to my grandpa. He was issued it in WWII. He was a Colonel. It is the short one not the Garand. It is in perfect shape and has been shot within the last year. Just needs to be cleaned. It says "General Motors" on the barrel. By perfect shape, I mean it has been protected all its life, hasn't had excessive amount of rounds through it, with very minimal ageing. Does anyone want to point me in the right direction or guess on its worth? Thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2012
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum can u post a picture of it
  3. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to TFF. I am no expert but have noticed that prices vary greatly depending on make, condition, date of manufacture, etc. As Beth suggested, pictures would help. Good luck.
    Last edited: May 10, 2012
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

M1 carbines have been sold through the old DCM and through the CMP program, so they are not rare, plus several civilian makers have turned out copies, more or less accurate. Yours is original, and with a GM barrel is very likely an Inland (the maker will be under the rear sight ahead of the serial number).

With that being said, a picture or more information is needed. Does it have a folding stock? Does it have a windage adjustable rear sight? Does it have a bayonet lug? Is the safety a pushbutton or a turn type switch? What is on the magazine release button?

Jim
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Jim, a folding stock?
  6. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

like this

[​IMG]
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Even better does it have a selector switch on the right side of the reciever near the rear sight? If was Grandpa's, and if he was anything like mine, it may.
  8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

A selector switch would be located on the left side near the chamber.