What is your favorite gun and why?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 76Highboy, Jan 2, 2012.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

1911... I haven't found a pistol that I shoot more accurately, that feels better in my hand, with a better natural point of aim, and with a better trigger. It might be single-action, low capacity, and heavy cause it's made out of steel, but it gets the job done.
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

:thumbsup:
  3. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

Isn't that like choosing just one of your children to like or favor. If I didn't like the gun I'd send it to live with someone else. So I guess if it's in the safe I like it.
  4. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I certainly like 1911's. They make fabulous target pistols. But for various other purposes I like other guns. I just don't like carrying a big honking piece of steel around with me when a much lighter weapon will shoot very well and won't make me walk like I'm going around the side of a hill. For example my Sig P220 is super accurate and much lighter than a 1911. Not many off the shelf pistols are more accurate. But it's also a single stack, low capacity handgun compared to even more modern choices. So my 2 main carry guns have become my Taurus PT-145, which holds 10+1 .45's in a package not much bigger than a Walther PPK. I still am amazed at how they got so many rounds in a small package like that. It's very accurate too out to about 20 yards and it has never had a single malfunction of any kind. There are a dozen things to like about that pistol in fact. But lately I've been carrying my XDm .40. It's a bigger pistol than the Taurus but it holds a lot more ammo. 16+1 gives a person a lot of firepower. I have the 3.8" barrel so it's a little smaller than the full size models but it's still big compared to the Taurus. But for cooler weather carry or for carrying in the vehicle it's great. At one time I didn't like the recoil of a .40 for the power that you got but with this pistol I barely even feel the recoil. It's a function of the ergonomics of the pistol I'm sure. My .45's both kick more but the Taurus actually kicks less than the Sig. The Sig has a high axis so it gets a lot of muzzle flip which makes it seem like it kicks more.

Anyway as much as a I like 1911's I like other pistols for carrying. YMMV as always.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

So, get you a nice commander size 1911 with a scandium aluminum frame and its just as light as these others you mention.
  6. vaskeet

vaskeet New Member

either my dan wesson 22 pistol pac (beautful and accurate) or my ria xt22 22 1911 (just plain fun) Randy
  7. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

I can't say just one is my favorite, as they were all picked for specific purposes, but I'll play along... let's just day my buddy called and I can bring ONE gun down to his place to shoot, but he won't be there long, that's why.

Of course I would always have my Ruger P95 with me, as it's my EDC.

[​IMG]
  8. Jayhawk9x19

Jayhawk9x19 New Member

I almost hate to answer with such a boring response, but I'd have to go with my Glock 19. It's just the gun I've shot the most and carried the most. Sure, I've got more unique guns, and definitely more expensive guns, but none that I can pick up and shoot as quickly and accurately.
  9. tallbear

tallbear New Member

Personally I would say the best gun I ever owned was a Smith Model 28 4" barrel.
    In fact, I am looking to trade for another one IF I can find one.

tallbear
  10. Grapevinebill

Grapevinebill New Member

Here is my latest addition to the collection. It is the Beretta Billenium. Only 1000 were brought in to the states back in 2000.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

My 686 is my all time favorite, but the 1911's are closing fast.
  12. MadTownPrepper

MadTownPrepper New Member

Currently it's the Springfield XD-45. I like the feel and weight of it, and feel like I shoot it better than any of my other toys.
  13. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My XD-45 is a great gun too. It sure is accurate.
  14. Munch

Munch Member

That is an impossible question for me, I love my .22s for plinking, my .380s for ultra fast double taps, the 9mms for capaci... I can't answer this, why am I still typing
  15. SARGE7402

SARGE7402 Member

I like my Walther PP/PPK series pistols. They just fit my hand well and are easily carried 24/7
  16. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

An Ithaca M1911A1 that's just a year younger than I am. Fitted with a flat mainspring housing (yes, with lanyard loop) and long M1911 trigger it fits my hand like a glove, balances/points perfectly, and hits what I tell it to hit. It was my carry pistol from '66 to '93.
  17. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

gosh.. that's a hard one.

i have a favorite rifle, favorite handgun, favorite shotgun, and favorite special gun.. :)

none of them are 1 size fits all.... would be a hard choice if I was told to grab 1 firearm and hit the road..
  18. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

For handguns anything in the safe with S&W on it.
  19. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Was just thinking about the Ithaca M1911A1 mentioned above; it is by far my favorite from a sentimental standpoint, but my better half and I are both collectors/shooters/hunters, so we have a fair number of shootin' irons. I'm very much into WW1 arms, so we've a few, and some are truly gawd-awful ugly (as in Vetterli M1870/87/15, amongst others), but I admire and repect them for the history they represent. Would I grab the Vetterli or a Berthier in a SHTF situation? Um...no.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  20. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

So many 1911 fans here -

If I HAD to pick only one, I think my 1911 would be it. A parts gun I assembled on the CHEAP about forty years ago, when I bought it mail-order from a place in CA.
    Essix frame, Cold slide, never fails, feels good, and when it runs empty I could BEAT someone to death with it pretty easily.