The Firearms Forum banner

What is your favorite kitchen knife?

8K views 48 replies 33 participants last post by  redworm 
#1 ·
For many years now we have been using Chicago cutlery knives. They have served us very well, hold an edge pretty good, but the wood handles don't like the dish washer much. For Christmans my wife gave me two new Henckels (german) knifes, a cheifs knife and a slicer. Wow!! these are SHARP and do the work easily. (hand wash only) They have me thin slicing meat on the bias, or a scalopini cross the grain cut. So far I have yet to sharpen them, and will worry when I do, hoping not to ruin the fine edge that they have. What kind of knives do you like/use in food preperation? Do you have a favorite type? Best reguards, Kirk

#2 ·
Last Christmas, I bought a set of Meisterclause?Messerschmitte? (German) Knives, and aside from the Mrs. opening a paint can with a paring knife, they are excellent. Use the sharpening rod on them to keep them in tune and they'll last forever.

Well worth the $400+ I spent on them.

#3 ·
300 H&H

I've wanted a set of 5 star Henckels (18 piece) for quite a long time now, but the price kind of holds me back...I'll get me a set soon though.

For now, I'll say that you could take every kitchen knife I own and leave my cheap Forschner 6" boning knife...It will thin slice a tomato or completely break down a wild hog from start to finish (with a few sharpenings of course) in all honesty, I use two of them while breaking down a wild hog...One for the outside (dirty work) and another on the meat.

Crpdeth

G
#4 ·
Henckels for sure, 300! We have a set of those we've had for over 20 years and they're still going strong. A few strokes with the steel and they're ready to rock and roll again. They're expensive, but well worth the price. Some things one simply does not compromise on, and knives are one of those things in my humble opinion.

#5 ·
Henckels for sure, 300! We have a set of those we've had for over 20 years and they're still going strong. A few strokes with the steel and they're ready to rock and roll again. They're expensive, but well worth the price. Some things one simply does not compromise on, and knives are one of those things in my humble opinion.
This is the kind of stuff I like to hear...I may have to start putting some money back here and there to get mine a little sooner.

Crpdeth

G
#7 ·
This is the kind of stuff I like to hear...I may have to start putting some money back here and there to get mine a little sooner.

Crpdeth
Donny, one way to do it is to buy the knives one at a time, starting with the type you use the most. They're more expensive bought as singles, but you do have the ability to pick and choose which blade types you really want, and not buy the types you would never use. By the way, buy a steel with the first one! :D

#8 ·
Donny, one way to do it is to buy the knives one at a time, starting with the type you use the most. They're more expensive bought as singles, but you do have the ability to pick and choose which blade types you really want, and not buy the types you would never use. By the way, buy a steel with the first one! :D
Hey Pistol, You absolutely hit the proverbial nail on the head there. I use a steel ten times as much as I do a stone. A quality steel is also a lifetime investment. catfish

#10 ·
Thanks for the advice Rich...I dont know if you remember me mentioning that Dad was a meat cutter for many years...Well, he didn't save too many things but I know he has a couple steels, he already gave me one boning knife with a broken tip that I'm going to carry to Kieth or try to fix myself and also a bone saw...Maybe I'll "borrow" one of his steels as well. :D

Crpdeth

G
#11 ·
They really do work, Donny. Mostly, as you already know, they straighten an edge rather than actually sharpening it. What type and brand of knives did your dad prefer when he was carving beef? Most butchers I know have a very high appreciation for good knives, and the skill to use them well.

#13 ·
Henckels are a staple of the Hurley's kitchen. But I have an embarassing admission to make.

When we bought our Ron Popiel Showtime Rotisserie (I admit it, damn it! I bought one!), we got one of Ron's Showtime knives - a big one. Well, after he shouts that you can "set it and forget it!" he claims that his knives are great and never need sharpening. OK, that part is clearly BS, but here's the scoop... I prefer Ron Popiel's knives over the Henckels.

I know, I know, this kind of talk is cutlery heresy, but I'm just being honest. They're great knives.

I also have the pocket fisherman, the Food Dehydrater, the Super Slicer, and spray paint for bald spots on your head. Long live Ron Popiel and awesome Ronco products! :)

#15 ·
My favorite is a plain ole kitchen carving knife, not stainless, that came from a country hardware store in Maine that sold everything including the kitchen sink. It is fifty years old and has a terrific edge with just a brush or two of an ole fashioned steel.

I have a shorter bladed "fish" knife from the same place and about the same age that is equally handy and maintains a great edge with the steel.

I wouldn't trade either of them for any modern knife I've seen !!!!!

G
#16 ·
Almost certainly those fine knives are made of simple high carbon steel, Marlin, most likely 1095, the same stuff the original Marine K-Bar knife was made of. Even today it's hard to beat for its ability to take fine edge. Adding chromium to steel to make it "stainless" tends to harden it thus making it less "tough," though you get the corosion resistance that way. On the molucular lever, the steel simply won't take as fine an edge as plain carbon steel.

#22 ·
My favorite paring knife is probably 50 years old, a gift from a friend. Just looked and what do you know it is marked "Old timer" and can take a very nice edge, and it always seems to be involved when I get cut...... Maybe because of the "close" quarters that I sometimes use it in. Best reguards Kirk P.S. Mrs Santa Clause may just have to get me a couple more Henckels!!!

#23 ·
*UPDATE*

My beautiful girlfriend got me started on my Henckles for an early Christmas gift just now... How time flies and tries our patience, but it was worth the wait. Thanks, Amber!!!

#25 ·
Victorinox Forschner Forged Professional

#26 ·
The kitchen knife I always grab first is a knife that belonged to my wife's grandmother. No name, or emblem, on the knife. It was old when my wife was a little girl, and she is now pushing 60!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.