What is your favorite kitchen knife?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by 300 H&H, Oct 22, 2007.

1. pickenup

pickenup New Member

We picked up the "Signature Series" set from Hoffritz a few years back.
    I'm pretty happy with the knives, but the scissors SUCK.
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

My favorite paring knife is probably 50 years old, a gift from a friend. Just looked and what do you know it is marked "Old timer" and can take a very nice edge, and it always seems to be involved when I get cut...... Maybe because of the "close" quarters that I sometimes use it in. Best reguards Kirk P.S. Mrs Santa Clause may just have to get me a couple more Henckels!!!
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

*UPDATE*

My beautiful girlfriend got me started on my Henckles for an early Christmas gift just now... How time flies and tries our patience, but it was worth the wait. Thanks, Amber!!!
  4. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

Cutco is the best..
  5. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Victorinox Forschner Forged Professional
    [​IMG]
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The kitchen knife I always grab first is a knife that belonged to my wife's grandmother. No name, or emblem, on the knife. It was old when my wife was a little girl, and she is now pushing 60!
  7. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I've got a victorinox deboning knife that I love. I need to get a steel though. That's pretty well the only kitchen type knife that I use. I prefer it when my wife does anything other than cutting up my deer. I've cut up 5 with it this year.
  8. bobg`12

bobg`12 New Member

I have a set of Farberware that do everything i need a knife for. Not really expensive but they hold an edge good.
  9. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I always wanted a good set of kitchen knives, but I just couldn't justify the hefty price tag for them. So I finally went out and bought 1 nice knife, a Henckel chefs knife and a good steel. It was $45, it's not their top of the line, but it's a really good knife for the price.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  10. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

Before they became "chic-fashionable" as they are today with some chefs, I had assembled "for cheap" a pretty decent collection of high quality old used high carbon steel kitchen knives. The steel in the old Dexter, Victornox, Wust and Henckel high carbon knives are truly incredible in terms of their relative sharpness and their superb edge holding capabilities. The amount of force required to cut with a super sharp carbon steel blade is much, much less than with a modern excellent quality forged stainless steel knife. And generally, all it takes is a couple of licks on an extra fine diamond sharpening stone to restore high carbon knives to a true shaving quality edge. If you are willing to hand wash and dry the high carbon knives right after usage session, I would heartily recommend that you pick a couple up to try out. Chances are that they will quickly become new favorites.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  11. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

At home I use whatever I grab first,,,,At work I use a Forged Rosewood 10 Inch with a High Carbon contant,,bought it at a Garage Sale many years ago,,,,expensive Knives have a way of disappearing in real kitchens
  12. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

13. ozo

ozo Active Member

I wouldn't know where to begin, or remember even what I have.

Gustav Emil Ern, Dexter, Forschner,.......
    Even some Fiskar and the poly-handle knives
    that Sam's Club sells.

When I fished my Hatteras in the Keys, the absolute
    best knives were several sizes of Forschner's.
    I used a 6"-8" carborundum stone, dipped in salt
    water repeatedly and kept a razor edge.
    Lotsa bone and scales to cut through.

Very strict in my kitchen.....any knife used.....
    immediately hand washed and put away.

Most of my meat I slice on an electric meat slicer.
    I slice/chop lotsa vegies though.
    Chef, Santoku, boning, paring, cleaver, chopper,......etc.
    and the bread knives are another world, a must on
    fresh baked breads.
  14. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

I've had many knives in the kitchen, and often pull out several for one job. Overall, I can bring out my cold steel K5 serrated 7" kitchen knife and do everything with it. I've used it for 10 years now and have never had to touch the edge. It cuts bread, vegis, meat, everything (even a thumb or two). They are less than $30. I have three sons and we all agree this is the most usefull knife in the kitchen.
  15. btown

btown New Member

Chicago cutlery bought in 1985. Use the 9 in. chef every day.
  16. SFsc616171

SFsc616171 New Member

I have a combination of "Good Chef" knives, that I ordered from them directly, and an 8-inch and a six-inch Chef's knife, a Santoku and a Steel, that I ordered from Challenger. The Challenger knives are all carbon steel, restaurant 'NSF' quality, and have those white handles that still give a good purchase when wet. The Challenger knives all were 'paper sharp' upon receipt of shipment. The 'Good Chef' knives include a five-inch Chef knife, and some nice utility knives.

I'm sorry, I am the disabled milvet, retired columnist, the head of armed security, the hashslinger, bottlewasher, burser, purchasing agent, coffee barrista, electronic geek, and major domo. So, I had to get as much as I could for my money.
  17. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Bought mine at the same time and my favorite is also the 9" chef knife. I make sure to not put it in the dishwasher in contact with other knives and as soon as the cycle is over I get it out of the dishwasher and let it air dry at room temp. The handle shows some weathering but oil keeps it in pretty good shape.
  18. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Kitchen knife set is Chicago Cutlery - bought at the factory outlet in Florida some years ago. Wooden handles, so hand-wash only and re-oil periodically to keep that nice walnut look. Favorite is 9" chef!!

Steak knife set is Saladmaster, SS throughout, so DW safe.

Sharpen them all with a Spyderco ceramic sharpening system until I can shave with them. All hold a good edge.
  19. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

As a professional cutler, I have quite a few knives in the kitchen-some very expensive ones. Strangely, the ones that perform the best are the inexpensive Victorinox brand kitchen knives. I have a few old Ontario Cutlery knives that are great, too.
  20. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

We use Cutco knives. They work really well and hold a razor edge.