What is your gun selling/trading philosophy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B27, Nov 9, 2012.

1. B27

B27 New Member

Dog eat dog?
    It's how the world works.

Fair deal on all sides?
    You may well be costing yourself money.

Other philosophies?
  2. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Lowest out go in cash or trade for common caliber weapons of quality and quantity. some you win some, lose some, breakeven on others.
  3. B27

B27 New Member

Also what about that gun you have always wanted?

In my case recently that was a Marlin 39 TDS.

Do ya just go nuts when it's something you have wanted for four decades?
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Dont sell crap
    fix what you sell within reason
    dont over charge , state etc
    if not sure , say so
    keep your word
    if you screw up fix it
    if the customer screws up be understanding but dont send ya self broke

dont do business with family
    give it to them , instead
  5. BillM

BillM Active Member

Selling/trading? I don't mis-represent anything, and figure that if both
    parties are satisfied then it's a good transaction.

Buying? I'm getting to be more of an impulse buyer. I try to not
    visibly drool or shake as I'm dragging out my wallet.:)
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I didn't know you could sell them.

I don't sell or trade.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
  7. Troyha23

Troyha23 New Member

S&W mod 39
  8. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

when a customer sees my sign, they come in my shop , look at the price tag and either take it or leave it
  9. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Guns what guns? If I had guns I'd never sell another one again. I really miss the SKS I sold years ago. You know, before I got rid of the ones I don't have now:rolleyes:
  10. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

no need for me to deny having firearms, i just my new ffl license in the mail yesterday:D
    they probably know more about me than my mother did;)
  11. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    It is hard to say being each deal is different. Depends on what they bring in to trade and the desirability of the item they have. I do not go by blue book values, I go by current market values. Now if it is an item that is say 1 month old, I have to get it for under whole sale and then I need to be at least 10% below wholesale being it is a used item no matter if it was shot or not. As to new guns that I sell for cash and no trading, I charge a 10% mark up to a max of $50. Simple and to the piont. On a $2000 gun I make $50. On a $500 gun I make $50. On a $300 gun I make $30. Where I and most shops make the money is trades but we have to be well up on current market prices for older guns and we must be well versed on condition ratings.
    Bottom line any shop will tell you they make the most money off repeat customers so IF in a gun deal you treat new customers right, they usually become repeat customers.
    Also no trade/deal is the same. I have had people bring in guns that were worth well over what they expect out of them and on those deals I tell them they are worth more. I also reflect that in the trade if that is what theyb are doing. On the flip side I have had customers come in who have bought a $200 gun for $500 and expect me to give them mor ethan the gun is worth.
    As I stated, NO DEAL IS THE SAME so you cannot place aset standard on gun trading/deals. IMHO the only thing you can do is be fair & honest in all your dealings.
  12. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I've traded for a few guns, haven't sold any for years. The local Indians are forever selling their guns for booze. I've bought a few from them, but always under the condition that they could buy them back down the road. Guns are given as gifts at potlatches so numbers of guns in the village are ever increasing. Also when an Indian say, sells a piece of land, they own most of it out this way; they'll take 6-7 thousand and buy all of their brothers & relatives cheap hunting rifles and give them as gifts; sharing concept that is part of their culture.
  13. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I sold 2 guns when I was younger and dumber, one was a mossberg 500 that I didn't want and one was my first 1911, that one stings. 400 bucks for it didn't even put a dent in the TRP to replace it.

So many years ago, I came up with my rule; NEVER sell a gun. Period.

Same with my Toyotas. Not for sale! Had many people ask, one guy asked last night if my M1A was for sale. HA! not for all the tea in china.
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

In April of last year (2011) I discovered a Georgia based web site named The Outdoors Trader. Up until I found that site, I never sold or traded many guns, maybe one every couple of years. I have done quite a bit of gun trading since I found that site. I have a feedback score of 27, that means I have bought, sold, or traded twenty seven times in the past 18 months. That was unheard of for the first 60 years of my life.

I believe that trades should be fair, by that I mean if I am happy with a trade and the guy I am trading with is happy, then it is a fair trade. I have lost "money" on some trades and I have made some on trades, but both parties were happy so it is a fair trade. I will never intentionally try to cheat someone I am trading with and I would hope each person feels the same way.
  15. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

Getting the most BANG for the buck
  16. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I trade money for gun, once gun is mine it stays mine.
  17. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just went over to my safe and looked at my guns. I don't own one I would sell. If I were ever to get a great deal on a gun I really didn't want I would buy and resell. I have yet to see a gun I really didn't want yet.
  18. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

I don't sell here, only buy.
  19. wolfdog

wolfdog Member

I try to get the best deal I can without shafting anyone. If someone offers me a firearm for way less than it is worth, I will tell them that is the case. Most of the time I still get a good deal, if not what I could have got it for. Some times I get a pig in a poke for a good price, i.e. something that needs work and not really sure if it will come out okay I will not offer much, some work out well and if they don't I am not out much.(and if they turn out to be real junk I take them to one of the gun buybacks)
  20. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

I feel like I am at least fair to most. By that I mean Better than many. I recently had a neighbor aproach me about buying three of his pistols. He had been to a local gun shop and a pawn shop and was insulted, but desperate. I wound up giving him exactly twice what the pawn shop offered him and he was thrilled. Since then I have sold/traded all three pistols and have 75.00 cash profit. plus a Glock 17 gen 3 . We are both happy.