What is your gun selling/trading philosophy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B27, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Strange this popped up,,,Just had a Win Win happen to me,,, A new gun dealer was opening up in my area and began posting info about his Shop on the local Gun forum,,,I asked about a certain Firearm thats been on my Bucket list ,,,on line shopping gave me an idea as to what the gun sells for,,the big box stores want full retail,,,The new Gun dealer gave me a price of 150.00 less than Big box and 150.00 more than the on line dealer,,,Not bad,,,,I had a couple of guns that I seldom shoot and asked if he would accept a trade in,,,,no Problem as they are both in excellent shape with all paperwork and some added acc,, Grips mags etc,,,,I had an idea as to what I thought they would be worth and with that in mind I waited for them to open up and brought my guns in to be appraised for the trade in value,,I was really surprised that they offered me more money than I thought they would and made the deal,,,,A word to the wise here,,,if you want top dollar for your gun,,Clean it,, if you have the warrenty papers and instruction manual bring it,,part of the reason I think I got that extra dollars is because I included the few extras that helped me get a better value and I also made the tradein easier for the dealer to sell ,,,
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

buy guns?

if I buy, i keep in mind what I could sell for.. thus buy lower than regular sales avenue.

if I see a piece and someone wants to sell it to me, and i'm not hot onit.. I tell them. I also tell em truthfully that I got 12 at home just like it or better.. and I will buy it if the price is right.

I've picked up some decent deals just being bluntly honest with people like that.

I have a decent selection of jap rifles and mauser pistols. too many really. could never get another and I got too many. that said. i see one for sale at half 'retial'' I'm inclined to buy it.

I have had people try to get me to take one.. and again.. I tell em. I got xx at home.. but will take it if they want to sell it right.

sell guns? that's crazy talk.. :)
  3. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    I've learned my lesson.

I'll sell them when liberals openly admit that they've been wrong about gun control.
  4. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

Me either!:D
  5. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    I just sold my 12 gauge pump today. Last gun that I didn't get grandfathered from my father or grandfather. Oh well.
  6. FlashBang

FlashBang Member

In the past 30 years I have only sold 1 gun. I buy all the time though. I pay a fair price based on condition, what it is and how bad I want it.

7. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I do not 'sell' any of my firearms. I had to do that when I moved from what was 'free California' back in the later 80's to what was then Communist Mass. (and still is when it comes to firearms). I had to sell ALL of my firearms to go help my Mom fight cancer. Including my Uzi.

Then, I left my country. In Finland I did not buy any firearms. Very complicated to do so. Moved back after 23 years and moved to Idaho. I will never sell one of my firearms again. I did make one trade though - I traded my SKS carbine with composite stock that I bought at a gun auction for $250 (I bought my 30/30 at the same time then had to come back home and tell my wife "well - oops I know I only had permission to buy ONE but... the SKS came up first so I bought it - I didn't think I would get that 30/30 which was what I wanted and when it came up I made only one bid and I got it too... I'll sell the SKS") - I traded it straight across for my 1911 that fires perfectly - as an old Indian would say "Hmm Good Trade" :D

Then, I was able to explain to my wife (who is Finnish) that "well, yes, you were right - I didn't need two rifles but, we do need a pistol - so we have to keep this one" :)

Now, we have two more pistols - and I am applying for my C&R FFL - my wife is deciding what kind of pistol she wants for herself :) ... I did pretty well I think!
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Hey WH, do the hunt the caribou migrations in Finland? I read somewheres that gun ownership was quite high there and they got good hockey.
  9. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Both Guns I traded are readilly available and will never have a collector Value,,,,and if I don,t use them why not let someone else,,,also The trade made a Wheel Gun I would have to wait another year for available