What kind of knife would defend against a visious dog ??

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by glocknut, Jul 3, 2004.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I was thinking that some kind of half moon axe would be best, but I'm thinking a 15" bowie might be better ??

Also, what would a middle of the road, not a cheapie, not an ultra expensive, bowie in that size range cost ? Can a quality bowie be bought for $100 or so ???

What brands ???

Very curious about this. I don't always have my Glock with me, partially because i refuse to apply for a ccw because here in Arkansas you can NEVER have another drop of any kind of alcohol (sp)? while you are a permit holder....not to mention submitting to a permit process for something that we should have the right to do anyways...is a bad thing.

mike
    gn
  2. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

A good tactical knife might do the trick, but its always a function of the size and determination of the dog, as with a human attacker, there are always alot of variables involved. A nice Ka-Baar or a even a Glock knife would do the trick. Go to the Glock website, they also sell knives.
    My only concern with using a knife against a dog is that you need to be very close, unless you have a good throwing knife and know how to use it.
    I always carry two pistols. Whether its a dog or a human, I don't want to be close enough to smell their breath., but sometimes you have no choice, so maybe a Gerber, or a KaBaar, or a Beretta tactical. www.beretta.com

I hope it helps,

Brian.
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The two times I have had to defend against dog attack with a knife, the punch knife was by far the more successful. Even a trained guard dog gets very wary when the fist he bites cuts his tongue, cheeks and throat.

Pops
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2004
  4. Remington597

Do you have a picture of it?
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Mike:
    I'm sorry that I wont have an answer for you, but I would like to offer a few of my experiences, I have been dog bit as well as "confronted" by dogs, and of the times that I was bit there was no confrontation at all, but rather a quick dash in, bite, and flee, that is their nature for the most part, of the confrontations I had with dogs (when a weapon could have actually been used) I found that hollering commands (that they may reconize) as loud as possibly I could, along with whatever else came spewing out of my scared to death mouth will send most dogs back where they came from. I believe that not backing down is the secret to keeping dogs at bay.

With all that said, I was once very lucky to have some MK-III 10% pepper spray on my person, I was walking past an old detail shop when the rottweiler came running out at me, a short but very stocky dog, and very aggressive and loud...I pulled the bottle from my pocket and walked slowly backwards this time, toward the middle of the road hollering the whole time...the reason, I thought, was because the dog was still in their property, and a couple black dudes were hollering for the dog to come back, which he had no intention of doing.

Anyway, when the K9 was well out in the street I gave him a little dose...You should have seen him, over in the grass, whimpering, tring to rub the stuff off of his face. Of course I could hear angry remarks from the shop, (aww, you didnt have ta do dat shizz maaaan, he wernt gonna bite), I never even looked at them, just continued with my stroll, knowing they didn't want what Rosco just got...If you know anyone working for PD who'll order you some out of the Galls catalog, it's mean stuff. LE use only which contains olerresin capsicum formulation, I gave some to my little Sis who lives alone over in Dallas, and I have no worries about her being messed with.

~Crp
  6. Remington597

CRP:
    Excellent suggestion.
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I gave my last punch knife to my granddaughter. I'll search around a bit and see if I can find a picture of one on the net.

Pops
  8. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

It's getting late, I'm getting tired.
    Here is Cold Steel's punch knife. The one I liked best was an off brand, really cruddy steel, but it had a pivoting handle, so it was a regular fixed blade one way, a punch knife the other way.

Pops

Attached Files:

9. Remington597

Interesting blade. I would not want to be a dog on the other end of that.
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Thanks Remi, The only problem of course would be obtaining the same type of spray...Although, I'm quite sure there are a few out there for civilan use that are just as potent.

~Crpdeth
  11. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Do tasers work.......????? LOL

LTS
  12. Mateomasfeo

Mateomasfeo New Member

13. offeror

offeror New Member

There are a number of sources for 10% pepper spray for civilians and I have been carrying one as an alternative for a while when walking my dog, etc. It is nice to have a choice available, but I would say that if you run across a pit bull which has ahold of a human being already, and you don't have a gun on you, you may be wishing for that knife you were talking about originally.

Those who really know fighting knives say what I had suspected from the start -- a thrust gives deep penetration in a vital spot, similar to a bullet, while a slashing knife may cause a cut which will let the animal bleed out more slowly and continue an attack for another 2 or 3 minutes, unless you are able to sustain your cutting attack long enough to butcher the animal. So a quick, straight, deep thrust is best, and the knife designed for that purpose will tend to stop attacks more effectively.

Obviously, a short 6" blade isn't the best for penetration no matter how sharp it may be, even though that used to seem like a pretty big belt knife to me. But over time I've gotten used to bigger and bigger knives, and now I find a full sized tactical tool like a Ka-Bar or a good bayonet perfectly normal for belt carry when I might need a real alternative to a gun. This is a case when you need a REAL knife made for serious business.

A blade of 8-11" is not too long for this kind of application, and you want to plunge it in all the way. Regardless of price point, a good knife needs to have certain features, like 420-440 steel or carbon steel, a full tang going through the handle, and a design strong enough not to break if it hits bone going in or if you need to hammer it in with a rock. Anything from a vintage bayonet to a Ka-Bar product is of sufficient quality, I think. This means you can have a good back-up on hand for anywhere from $20 (for something like a surplus bayonet) to $100 or more for a new tactical model. Ka-Bars run around $40-60. You want to pick a knife that is good for thrusting, a long dagger or spear point model, or, as you said, something like a "SEAL team Bowie." Obviously, this is not a job for most folders, by the way.
  14. rugerman

rugerman New Member

:D How about a bush ax or a m1 with a bayonet?
  15. HappyNanoq

HappyNanoq New Member

Lives in the northern Jutland, which is where I gr
    Have been bitten twice my dogs - both times I had techniques to repell the dogs by force and knowing the "tender" spots on a dog.

A hit directly onto it's nose - root of your hand, flat hand thrusting it's nose "into" it's face. That hurts it so much it WILL whimper and rethink it's course of action somewhat.
    This can be done if it comes really close and you don't have anything you can defend yourself with.

The other time the dog got a hold of my left arm, luckily I was wearing either the cowboy-jacket in the jeans-fabric or leather jacket that I used when delivering newspapers on my moped, can't remember which one - Anyhoo, it didn't bite through the jacket, but lodged itself firmly so I couldn't shake it off and couldn't quite manage to hit it's nose just right.

Had to lift it, grab hold of it's body, hold it towards myself and forcefully wring it's head "backwards" - sort of like if it wanted to look straight up, but further than that.
    I heard some noises from it's neck and felt some muscles jolt from the dog, but just kept at it.
    This also makes it's airflow slightly constricted but it will make it's neck and head explode in pain if you apply enough force.
    When it whimpers - hold it a few secs and give it a last push on the head and release your grip - at that point it will have lost interest in you.

If not, if you're big enough - a knee to it's stomac is a swift way to repell it too. I wasn't big enough to do it at that time, always bee quite short for my age.

Have always listened to good advices as I have been a paperboy.
    I know both of these techniques can in fact kill the dog if applied with enough force.

Root of the hand thrusted onto it's nose, towards it's eyes/face.
    Wring it's neck directly "backwards" when it's allready bitten you and won't let go.
    When it won't let go - knee to it's stomac or body.
    Use knuckles/fist to hit it's head, side of the head or snout. Can also be used on it's nose.

These are a last resort though - when you don't have anything to repell it with or can't get to your normal protection.

Us paperboys learned a few tricks, but we couldn't always used a rolled up newspaper - so we were told these techniques as we didn't usually run with knives. (this being in denmark... doesn't really need a knife for protection).

These WILL hurt the dog and probably do damage or cause death to the dog.

Was told to be wise, carefull - but always stay on top of the situation.
    You're the smartest critter of the two of you. Use that to your advantage.