What kind of Pistol??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by exfarmer, Mar 16, 2007.

1. exfarmer

exfarmer New Member

This was brought back by wife's grandfather from WW1. I can not find any name. Appears to be a 9mm or very close to one. matching numbers 3385. Lettering on one side appears to be sdnrsdnr. see photos:rolleyes:

That is all of the numbers or letters. I have looked everywhere even took off the grips.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi exfarmer......welcome to TFF.

Wow! That's a puzzle. Any other writing on it? Any proofmarks?

I've looked through my reference books, and the REME Weapons Collection website: http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/pistols/armsap.htm and don't find it.

However, I'll keep looking, so check back occasionally.
  3. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I wanted to say it looked Russian or Slovakian but it also looks Greek.
  4. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

How about Chinese hybrid. I found an identical pistol listed under Chinese hybrids in one of my books.

It meets the criteria of having a mixed jumble of letters for a name. It is based loosely off of the C-96 and possibly the FN. Also, the serial number may be repeated on dozens if not hundreds of identical pistols.

Don't ask me what it's worth. A.B. Zhuk didn't put values in the guide. He did mention that this was common between 1911 and 1949 in China.
  5. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

What ever it is, it's kinda cool looking.
  6. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

any attempt to tabulate and indentify handguns eminating from China in the early 20th century is doomed, they most often defy such classification attempts...

its a cross between the C96 BOLO MAUSER design and the 1900 FN-BROWNING patent...

both designs were highly favored and cloned in the Shensi and Shantung arsenals in the 1920`s and 1930`s...

many produced is limited numbers literaly by the handful in backyard workshops...

virtualy all the Chinese variants shared a penchant for spurious markings, look-a-like proofs, strings of incomprehensible letters, and facsimiles of prized trademarks belonging to famous foriegn makers...

collectors often have multiple examples that feature the same SER#...

parts are rarely interchangable, as fitting and fabrication while following a set pattern are done by hand on an individual basis...

yes, it is pictured in ZUHKS ENCYCLOPEDIA, which is a great source of pictures that can help in identifying a gun...

but almost completely ignores technical data and offers no pricing guidlines...

its theorized that the Chinese kept these practices going long after they had modernized and industrialed there military small arms production capability...

that they supplied guns of this type to terror groups, insurgents, rebels, and criminal organizations...

the thinking being that the guns would not be traced back to the Chinese...

its a curiosity.
    if it was in better shape it might command some collector interest...
    i would ballpark value it in the $150-$300 range...

it might attract some interest at auction...

but the current condition will hurt its resale value.

best regards, mike.