1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

what kinda of shotgun is this???

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by the loush, Feb 28, 2010.

?

what do you prefer?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2010.
  1. colt

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. springfield

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. smith and wesson

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. browning

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. the loush

the loush New Member

hello gentleman im trien to figure out what kind of shotgun im holding onto here. its 12 gauge sxs. my camera is kinda junk, theres a bunch of stamps under the barrels forward grip. but no where on this gun is a company name. it to me looks close to a colt, but im guessing a kit gun with a colt knock off in mind.

any help would be greatly appreciated
    and a thank you in advance!!
    brad

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It looks to be a Belgium made S/S. era 1890's to 1910. The proof marks are not clear, can you describe them
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

I would agree. I have one that looks very similar that is marked W M Moore Co. Belgium. My hammers, side plate and screw/pin locations are exactly like yours. My fences are not scalloped like yours and my engraving is not as ornate as yours. Mine is a 10 gauge with 26" barrels that measure modified and modified, it also has has 4 inch chambers and looks to be built much heavier than yours.

Ron
  4. wpage

wpage Active Member

Agreed that without #'s hard to get details. Brown patina on barrels appear to be mandrell wrapped. Therefor black powder only.
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Hey Ron,
    Ever thought of parting with that "beast"?:D
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

How you doing Zane?

No, but thank you, I bought it about 15 years ago for $160.00 bucks and I shoot it every now and then with Federal 3.5 inch 00 magnums. The Damascus looks and case colors still look pretty good. It weighs almost 10 pounds. I know everyone thinks I am nuts to shoot magnums in it but it has 4" chambers. I know I am nuts but shooting this gun has nothing to do with that. :D

Attached Files:

7. the loush

the loush New Member

thank you guys. and to the gentleman who posted pictures, i think are hammers are a little different theres a more narrow spine running up the side of my hammer(dont know if that makes a difference, just one thing ive noticed with old hammered shotguns is the hammers are sometimes a trademark). the proof marks not that there destroyed but poor craftsman ship there hard to make out and even harder to take a good picture. you guys wouldnt believe me if i told how many different ways ive tried taking a picture of them. but below is a crude drawing of what i can make out.

the area that has a bf and a square above it, could be an rf with a square im not sure.
    the x's look to me as a set of axes crossing eachother with almost a shovel like head on the opposite.
    other than that ask me and ill try and do my best to find more info, and again thank you guys a million times over.

Attached Files: