what knid of powder???

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by remington1990, Dec 19, 2010.

1. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I am have been wanting to know what kind of powder I sould used in my sidelock ky long around here (north of memphis tn) I can't find true blackpowder without go to memphs at bass pro or to dixie gun works. what kind of powder can I use I found triple 7 jim shockey gold or pyrodex. And how would the power belt aero tip work in my
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. 22shot

22shot New Member

remmington1990

I'll assume you have a pecusion cap sidelock.

Any BP subsitute will work (loose powder; not pellets); my favorite is fffg Pyrodex.

I get flack from the "purist"; but it does the job.

The last time I was in Memphis, I was at the Naval "A" School.

If I lived there now; it'd be a good bet that you would find me hanging out at Dixie Gun Works !
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  3. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I wish could get to dixie more often I live 35 miles north of memphis. So it hard to get to memphis or dixie. Thanks for the advices I can find pyrodex easier then triple 7 and cheap too
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    the ignition point with pyrodex and tripple seven are about the same but if it were me id still use the tripple seven.pyrodex does have some sulfer in it and will corrode gun if not cleaned properly.i have left tripple seven in my knight rifle from one deer season to another and no corrosion.the rifle fired perfectly. old semperfi
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The key is to use loose powder, rather than pellets, unless you convert your gun to use musket caps or 209s. Triple 7 has a bit more power per grain volume than does Pyrodex or black powder. Reduce your load by about 15% to 20 % and work back up, to find the best accuracy.

Pops
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    absolutley no on the power belts,you must use either a patch and ball or a maxi ball type bullet.the barrel will have too much twist to shoot the power belt ammo. old semperfi