The Firearms Forum banner

what knife do you carry with you every day

34K views 184 replies 103 participants last post by  carver 
#1 · (Edited)
Just thought I would see what everyone uses for an every day carry knife.

Here is an image of mine. It's a gerber evo with 3.4" blade

Attachments

See less See more
#28 ·
Benchmade 154CM, looks like this:

$100 at the PX, had to replace my last one I lost in the river last year cleaning fish. oops. Won't be using this one for fish! cripes they're expensive.

#34 ·
Case trapper with carbon steel blades.

Hey, I got that same exact knife; still goes with me every hunting trip as my primary skinning knife for deer. Bit small for elk but works fine on whitetails and blacktails.

been using it for about 15 years now, guessing yours has a lot more mileage on it though, one of my mainstays for folding knives.

#35 ·
Hey, I got that same exact knife; still goes with me every hunting trip as my primary skinning knife for deer. Bit small for elk but works fine on whitetails and blacktails.

been using it for about 15 years now, guessing yours has a lot more mileage on it though, one of my mainstays for folding knives.
Only had this one for a couple of years. My last one I had for about 20 years and had abalone slabs. I lost it some kinda way. Priced a new one and decided I didn't need the abalone after all.:D

#36 ·
I carry 2, prevviously 3. I carry a Gerber paraframe that I found open under the seat of an old jeep I bought and found I liked it better than others I have spent money on and a victorinox classic sd swiss army, actually 2 sd's because there is one on my keychain too. I used to carry a case too but it fell out of my pants when I wore a suit one day. Not sure why I carry so many but it is a habit.

#38 ·
picked this up today, while not my every day carry, it is now my every hunting day carry knife, woo hoo!

has a fire starter, knife sharpener (and a freakin' whistle? ha! that one took me by surprise, I suppose it could come in handy. never needed a whistle myself but hey...)

going to make a better sheath for it, the one that comes with it isn't that great; the kidex portion is very nice though, it is held to the soft part with two velcro straps.

I hope to be carving up some elk/deer/bear with this thing soon...

#39 · (Edited)
Anyone carry or have one of those Sears 4 in 1 screwdrivers on your keychain or just handy? List price today about 99 cents.

Between my Klien electrical keychain knife and the 4/1 I did a whole bunch of handy things.

Besides a small collection (maybe 75-100? never rounded them all up) I also have desk drawer knives, work bench knives, garage and a bunch more.

Favorite electrical pouch knife, we made them down the mill from power hack saw blades and two side pieces from various slim materials. Over 40 years old, still have and use it!

Or pour a babbitt handle for a great steak or filet knife.

#42 ·
At work, I've been carrying a Parker Cutlery On the weekend, I carry a Buck Bucklite that I got when I went to work at Bass Pro Shops in 1986.
I've got about 2 dozen knives, folders and fixed blades. I used to check out the knife section of gun shops and especially pawn shops, for gun company knives. I haven't been doing that as much lately, everything I see is Chinese made now.

#43 ·
Sure are a lot of Gerbers, look like fine knives!
They are wonderful knives. Durable, hold an edge well, and the paraframes are weatherproof. I found mine in an old deer blind back in 2009. looked like it had been there for at least a year when I found it. I figure the person that left it got it for christmas and stuck it in the cieling of that ol hunting blind during the last hunt of the season and forgotten about it. Its been serving me ever since.

#46 ·
I carry cheap knifes as they get tore up. I have a case XX from my dad, he carried during WWII, heavy knife, weights about the same as a pistol. The heel can be used as a hammer if need be. I use that when I'm camping.
Yeah same here, I use cheaper even homemade knives for everyday use, lose 'em break 'em no big deal.

But my homemade electrical pouch knife made from old power hacksaw blades are virtually indestructable. I used to cut big magnet cables down the mill with them. Just properly sharpen them and they'll last a loooong time.

A 12 or 14 ga. home wiring job is no match for it! ;)

My dad made babbit handled steak knives with them when I was still a kid, they're still around.

#48 · (Edited)
you don't see many messing with babbit anymore.. maybee some custom bearing people.. that's about it!
Down at the USSteel mills I worked at were originally built in the 1890s, our oldest rolling mill was put in 1908, our only "new" strip mill was put in during WWII.

Strange, after we bombed the Japs and Germans out we helped them rebuild their steel indusrty, they won WWII just 20-30 years later.

We had a "Babbit Shop" and a lot of babbit bearings plus our millwrights used to babbit sewdged cable connections, truly old stuff!

Babbit for those of you that have never seen it looks like silver and feels and melts like a soft lead. It can be poured into almost any shape.

......oh, it's kind of like soldering electrical stuff.

#50 ·
#51 ·
Originally Posted by IShootBack
Boker Kalishnikof.
It's kept razor sharp and is for self defense not work.
Me too. The Tanto blade! Plus a Case mini stockman
Not that I'm neurotic or anything but I have pepperspray in the car, kitchen, desk even out on my deck (for animals too).

Also have a really quick opening seriously sharp knives always close by but not my everyday carry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.