What model 357 Colt is this?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Jackman, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Looking to buy a Colt revolver from private citizen not sure what the model is and neither is the owner, anyway its a 1960 year of manufacture nickle plated revolver serial number 11319 , it has a non ventilated 4 inch barrel and on the barrel its stamped "357 Magnum ctg", it has white pearl grips,,,,,,,, nice firearm but what is it? any ideas???????
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

[​IMG]

For 1960, says Python.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

He says "non-vented" barrel, which means "not a Python". But with the lack of other info, it could be three or four other models.

Pictures would be nice.
  4. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Python I wish ,but not a Python no rib, also its not my gun yet so I can't do pics. Only other info I can think of is that just below the serial number is the letter P :confused:,,,,,,, Nice piece it was a Policeman's service revolver in Florida but not Police issue, he bought it because it was what he wanted...
  5. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Okay from Hogger's pic I see a Trooper model and a 357 model, I think I am looking at a 357 model,
  6. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I'm thinking it's a Colt Trooper, I had a Mark III Trooper but traded it for a Python.
  7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

It could be either a Colt .357 or a Trooper. Does it say "Colt .357" on the barrel? The Colt .357 was Colt's premium revolver in the 1950's before the Python hit the market. In fact, the Python is just a Colt .357 with a vent rib and a really nice blueing job. The original Trooper was a less-polished version on the same frame.

Your gun was made around 1958. The gun came from the factory with checkered wood grips. The white pearl grips are aftermarket. Hope this helps.
  8. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Thanks , on the barrel it says either "Colt .357 magnum ctg" or just "Colt .357 ctg "not sure which ,owner still has gun I have not yet bought it.

Waiting for paper work then its mine :), would be neat to put a Python barrel on it :cool: