What model H&R is this.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rckdr, Jul 12, 2011.

1. rckdr

rckdr New Member

Have a new H&R hammerless, top-break, revolver, .32 cal, 3" brrl (not 3-1/4"), no cal markings on side of brrl so expect it is for black powder cartridges, has "HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS COMPANY/WORCESTER, MASS.U.S.A.PAT.OCT.4.'87,APR.2.'95.APR.U.9?" stamped on top of brrl, grips are hard black rubber w/ target at top, nickel plated, nothing else but serial numbers can be found, main sn under top frame when broke open and cylinder removed. partial sn's (last 4 numbers) on cylinder and under lt grip, which all match the full sn on the top frame. has a cylinder release button on top frame. missing about 20% of its original finish, bore, of course (due to black powder), is poor. Does anyone know the model number for this gun and its value?
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

rckdr,
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.
    You have 1st Model SMALL FRAME HAMMERLESS 1st Variation made circa 1899-1903.
    The last patent date which apparently is partly unreadable on your piece should read:
    APR.7.'96. It is suitable for BLACK POWDER loads, only. Serial number range on these seems to extend from 01 to approx. 82,000, so, depending upon your serial number the exact year can be estimated.
    The "standard" issue for this variation is: 3" barrel, Nickel plate, 5 shot .32 S&W (the short one) and molded, black hard-rubber grip panels. Options include: barrel lengths of 2" (BICYCLE model), 4", 5" or 6" (the longer barrels are scarce); polished blued finish and grip panels of M.o.P., checkered walnut and (very rare) Ivory.
    The RETAIL valuation for this model, currently: 100%/NIB $225; 95% $195; 90% $155; 80% $130 - all prices quoted are +/- $20 depending upon area.
    This black powder model seems to have been fairly well received and approximately90,000+ were produced before H&R switched production features to handle smokeless/Nitro powder versions in 1905.
    The small button on the left side of the top strap will hold the barrel latch in an upright position (for removing and reinstalling the cylinder) if pushed in while lifting the latch and then let go once latch is in raised position.
    Here's a pic of a couple of pieces from my collection.
    IMG_2034.jpg
  3. rckdr

rckdr New Member

Thanks for all the info Jim. This is exactly the model I have. Your information was invaluable. Glad I found this site and you are on it.
    Thanks again
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

rckdr,
    You're welcome, thanks for thanking.
    And we're glad you found this site also - come back often, with questions about ANY type or brand of firearms - we've got the "right stuff" here. Tell your friends about this site also.
  5. pwrlifter

pwrlifter New Member

I have a family gun that I am looking for more information on. It is a .32, 5 1/4" octagon barrel, marking on top strap says safety hammer and double action, marking on upper left barrel is H & R Arms-company Worcester, MA. ser# is stamped on bottom of grip frame. From what I have read it sounds like a "young american" but it is not stamped that way. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

pwrlifter,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I'm more inclined to think it is an AMERICAN DOUBLE ACTION model - but will need more info to ID for sure. A picture would be helpful. Oh, 6 shot .32 would be the AE; 5 shot .32 would be Young America.