what model is this Merkel 16ga side by side

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 1metzger, Jul 7, 2011.

1. 1metzger

1metzger New Member

I have a friend who is trying to identify a very old Merkel side by side shotgun. He says it has been in his family for around 100 years, as his grandfather gave it to his father, and since his father passed he now owns it. I have several gun value books, and cannot match it completely with any listed. It is in excellent condition, but we cannot find a model number anywhere. It is a 16 ga side by side, double triggers, with engraving of rabbits on one side and game birds on the other. The locking mechanism is on the bottom of the forearm and is very unusual. the fore end itself is checkered with a small engraved plate on the end. The serial number on it is, 7367. It has cocking indicators, sling swivels, and a fancy long trigger guard, the guard itself isn't engraved, but it is engraved under the back part of it. The barrels have a fancy look to it like it's textured. It does not have engraving on the breech end as some models show, just this textured finish along the whole thing and they are 30" long. It has an unusual safety on the top of the receiver that kind of has the look of a small wing nut. The top Of the rib says E. A. Merkel Suhl, and then on the top of the receiver tang it has old English style letters inside a brass looking oval between the safety and cocking indicators. It looks like the letters are, top row: L A , second row in smaller simpler script: s l, third row again in the larger old English style script: L T. But we really aren't sure on several of those letters. We have looked up a lot of fonts and can't really find one that matches to identify the letters positively. The stock is a dark wood that could be walnut, and has checkering around the back end of the trigger guard, and has a cheek piece.

Any help in identifying this would be appreciated.
  2. 1metzger

1metzger New Member

3. 1metzger

1metzger New Member

I think you have to sign in to facebook to see the pics, but I have it set up so everyone can see them. If it dosen't work, please let me know