What needs to be done?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pistolenschutze, Nov 3, 2007.

1. On countless threads here on TFF folks, myself among them, often point out what is wrong with our country. I would like to propose a thread to discuss what might be done to correct those wrongs and turn this nation once again into what it once was, a strong, prosperous, and powerful nation--a shining example for the rest of the world.

To me the place to start is in the schools, but then, I'm a teacher so that shouldn't surprise anyone. :D First of all, get rid of all the so-called "experts" infesting the educational system, along with their failed methodologies that teach our kids neither to read nor to write, and preach a doctrine of political correctness in place of pride in country.

Get rid of every damn politician in Washington and start over again!

Make a thorough understanding of the Constitution a requirement to pass the 8th grade, along with competency in the English language. Any who cannot demonstrate that competency should be held back until he or she can!

Disband the BATF&F, or at least limit its authority to investigation of crimes involving the use of explosives.

Stop, by whatever means necessary, military or otherwise, any and all illegal immigration into the United States and make any attempt to enter this country illegally a federal offense carrying a mandatory prison sentence at hard labor with nothing at the end but deportation.

That's just a few of the things I believe should be done. What say you?
  2. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

Cut all of the extraconstitutional authourity that the federal government has usurped and return it to the state and local level where it belongs. I can eliminate half a dozen cabinet positions tomorrow. TERM LIMITS ON CONGRESSIONAL MEMBERS. 2 TERMS, YOU'RE OUT OF WASHINGTON. Is there anything that Edward Kennedy has needed 40 years in the senate to accomplish? Quit sending these people back!
  3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Reform the Political Campaign Contributions Laws.

Personal Finance should be taught in Public Schools as well.
  4. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

minimum of one year national service -not neccessarily military- for every young man and woman (that means for the children of senators as well)
  5. Agreed, Shimon!!! There's nothing better than a term of service, especially military service, to instill discipline and an understanding of the true value of our blessings in this country.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2007
  6. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

OH I have to think on this one for a while;)
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Check up on the "enumerated powers" act and PASS IT.

Then, make it retroactive on existing laws.

Pops
  8. I agree, that would be a wonderful place to start, Pops. Half the federal laws on the books would suddenly become void, along with abolition of many federal agencies.
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Ya think? :D Makes me giddy to think about it.

Pops
  10. dcd_enterprises

dcd_enterprises New Member

Isn't that what I said in the first reply to this post?
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

It is indeed what you said. However, I am discussing a bill which has been introduced every year since 1995 and goes nowhere. Perhaps we should do some letter writing and encouraging of our hired hands, rather than just whining to each other. Hmmmmm? :D

Pops
  12. firebird

firebird New Member

Excellent, Pistol!

Ya know, back in the day, I can remember when I got in trouble in school *ahem* I had to start writing the Consitution! Of course, this is surely the reason for my incredibly poor penmanship! :D
  13. Ah ha!!! So that's where the Equal Rights Amendment got started! ;)
  14. obxned

obxned New Member

How about paying congressmen the average wage in their home district, and letting them get by on SS when they get old and ugly, just like us po' citizens and taxpayers?

How about teaching the good old 3 Rs in schools, along with a big dose of honest history? How about a national standard to be met by students before a HS diploma is issued? How about school districts must provide continued education until the student passes that test, but only receives federal funds for a student for 12 years? How about a very limited drivers license until that test is passed?

How about paying service men and women a wage that makes the draft or major recruiting efforts unnecessary?

How about applying the ‘truth in advertising’ laws to campaign promises?
  15. All are excellent suggestions, obxned, but especially the one above. Unless you teach, you have no idea how little education is actually being given by our public school systems. As a college instructor, I'm getting students now who are no more prepared for college level work than I am to become an astronaut. We must use part of our very limited budget to offer courses in basic math and English, just to bring students up to a math, reading, and English composition level where they might succeed in other required college courses. A high school diploma no longer means anything. The students have actually learned little or nothing to obtain it.