1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

What our money really is.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Nameless, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Does anyone else realize our money is paper and shiny rocks? The weird thing is it cost more money to make a half dollar than it does a dollar. Can anyone say conspiracy?
  2. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Money is just a concept of wealth,
    every time money passes hands, it's taxed (or nearly), how long does it take for it to be in the red in value. Not long

by the way, how do you do Nameless, i joined while you were out.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  3. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

The US Dollar has been worthless since Tricky Dick Nixon took us off the gold standard. Before that, our money was backed up by the gold reserve in Ft. Knox. Now our money is backed up by faith in the US gov't. Gold or faith in the gov't, guess which one I'd rather have in my pocket.
  4. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Our money is fast becoming a joke.

We have borrowed more money in the past 6 months than we have in the last 30 years.

The British are in really bad times too. I would be suprised if that govt keeps standing as it currently is for much longer. (a month if not weeks.)
  5. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Actually its not. Its cotton. And that could very well change as the legal battle continues over whether or not our money discriminates against the blind. It seems ridiculous but this is one of those cases where I can totally say, yea, if I was blind it would be a pain the ass!

I vote we adopt the Aussie plastic notes (the idea anyway, I'd prefer our money still have our presidents on it :D).
  6. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Now they are staring to make paper out of cotton to save the trees. So your argument is futile *evil laugh*. kidding about your argument being futile, it's a good arguement.
  7. muddober

muddober Active Member

Have you all heard of "Supernotes"? They are according to our government "near perfect" 100's made in North Korea. I say they are perfect. They are made of paper that reacts perfect to the pen test, they have the hologram, the thread etc etc. There was a documentary on last night about the FBI buying about $10 million worth of them in about 2005 while doing a sting that started off with counterfeit cigarettes and ended with the FBI buying arms including surface to air missiles and RPG's from a Chinese husband and wife team. When they presented them to the Secret Service they coped out that they have know about them since 1999 but none had shown up since. Yeah right! I went on line and there is very little available and no one suggests as I do herein that when one considers the relationship between North Korea and China and the debt we now owe China, I wonder how much of that debt was funded by Supernotes. If you or I brought a bail of 100 bills to our local bank even if they were real we probably would sit in jail until they figured out where and how we got them. However, in China for all we know some guy pulling a rickshaw can make several deposits a day with impunity and then a bank wire backed by Supernotes and not cash makes it way to where ever. I then got to thinking; the way Obama is spending our money it could come to pass that it won't make a whole lot of difference who prints our money because it all could become worthless.

Ron
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  8. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Well what do you folks recommend we do to make the US dollar actually worth something?
  9. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Stop the printing presses.
    Stop borrowing money from China.
    Stop spending more than what comes in.
    Stop running businesses that belong in the free market.
    Start paying our bills.
    Start repaying our debt.
    Start reading what our founding fathers had to say about everything.
  10. artabr

artabr New Member

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Art
  11. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Marlin T has some good points
    I how ever say that we replace every one in the government wit a successful businessman and start doing all the things Marlin spoke of . Until we replace EVERYONE in the government and start fresh with term limits we will never get ahead.
  12. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

US Currency is not so much faith in the government as it is a simple agreement among ourselves that it is the medium of exchange we all honor.
    If DC fell off the face of the earth and we all decided to keep using the money already in circulation, it would continue to have the same value because we all AGREE it has that value. Money has taken many forms throughout history, and not all of them were backed by anything of actual value; just an agreement.
    If we all agreed that baseball trading cards had a fixed value, we could start using them instead and virtually nothing would change.
    But that nice agreement gets glitched when someone starts printing our medium of exchange virtually without limit and putting it into circulation - - -

On the other hand, if the value of the US dollar was truly an expression of faith in the government, you would have to bring me a dump-truck load of it to buy anything from most TFF members - - -

Currently, US paper money is printed on paper made from 75% cotton and 25% linen fibers, with a smattering of red and blue synthetic fibers blended in for color.
  13. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

So what if the American people all agree that it is worth more???
  14. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

That's not how it works. Even now, the American people (well some of them, the smart ones anyway) are trading their near worthless fiat currency (dollars) for real money (dollars are NOT money, btw) - the real money is gold and silver.

I suggest you all get as much as you can, as soon as you can.
  15. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

If we did, then it WOULD be worth more.
    You would pay less for goods and services -
    You would receive less for your goods and services.
    Automatic de-flation.

But you will not get everyone to agree, as savings and debts are fixed numbers of dollars -
    So a savings account would become MUCH more valuable, since each dollar would be worth much more in buying power.

But a mortgage would be a crushing burden, as the dollars to pay the fixed balance became harder to obtain due to the owners reduction in number of dollars of income.