1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

What pump shotgun do you have ?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Logansdad, Jul 4, 2003.

?

Which one do you have ?

1. Remington 870

124 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. Mossberg 500/590

100 vote(s)
    27.4%
  3. Winchester 1200/1300

39 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. other

102 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. Logansdad

Logansdad New Member

or which one would you get ?
  2. warpig

warpig Guest

Bennelli Nova far outclasses the modern manufactured versions of the ones mentioned in quality and the price is right.

Don't forget the Ithaca 37 for upland game and a dedicated slug gun. The quality is there and it has the smoothest action of all the pumps.
  3. outdoorsman260

outdoorsman260 New Member

I've got an 870 Supermag and have no complaints.
  4. Logansdad

Logansdad New Member

everytime a new model comes out by any company it supposedly far outclasses everything else..money's why the advertising companies write copy for their clients..don't be a sucker for advertising. Advertisings motto ought to be "I don't have to tell you the truth as long as I don't lie to you"
  5. warpig

warpig Guest

I agree with you Logansdad

I base my comments of all above the above guns on ownership of them and usage.

The only pump I now own is the Bennelli Nova.

Sold my 870 cause it jammed and had a rough action from the day it was new. Had a Mossberg 500 that felt like it had gravel in the action as does every Mossberg 500 I have picked up. I know a guy who actually threw his Mossberg 500 off a bridge. I had an Ithaca 37 that a relative grabbed I wish I had back. I have had experience shooting my dad's Browning BPS also but the action is rough.

My dad has a 870 Wingmaster 16 ga with two barrels for it that is a SUPER gun. The modern 870 Wingmasters and Expresses do not even compare to it.

I despise what the gunwriters say as I have never seen them give a gun a truthful unbiased review. As a rule I ignore there paid advertising. Like I said I based my opinion on usage of the guns in question.

For me the Nova is the most dependable and best deal at $250 to $300 depending on model. You should give one a try the action actually pops open an inch or so by itself when the trigger is pulled due to a spring loaded bolt making for a very fact action to cycle. No tools are needed to strip the gun down to its smallest part. It will also shoot up to 3 1/2 shells and has an action that is smoother than the guns mentioned in the poll. But it is ugly and indestructible. I have had mine ride in the back of the pickup more than once without even scratching it. A recoil reducer is available for it but I don't use mine as it makes the gun to heavy to carry, unless I am goose hunting from a blind where I don't have to walk.

just my .02:):) A person should get the gun that fits them and works best for them.
  6. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Had a Remington 870 thought it was o.k,...picked up this Smith & Wesson and think it's great!...
  7. Logansdad

Logansdad New Member

I have a Winchester 1300...smooth and fast. I like the Remington because of all the accessories available for it. I used to have a Marine Magnum but it was cylinder bore without the option for chokes. I have no use for Cylinder bore. I would love to have an 870 Marine Magnum with a full or even extra full choke.
  8. warpig

warpig Guest

There are a ton of goodies out there to bolt on the 870.

I have wanted to try a Winchester. They don't make a 20 guage though and that kind of turns me off.
  9. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

I own an 870 but my true love lies with my grandpas old 97 winchester,I do not shoot the gun any longer but would not be affraid to bring her out of retierment. The only shotgun I shoot anymore is my Bennelli SBE.
  10. warpig

warpig Guest

You are right Mike those old Winchesters are good guns. If I remember right you were still shooting it up until a couple years ago.
  11. Sir Bug

Sir Bug New Member

Hello Gang,

I was weened on my daddy's Winchester, mod. 12, in 16 ga. He left it to me when he passed. I prefer it over any long gun I have.

I also have a Winchester, mod 1200, in 12 ga. that my wife gave to me for Christmas 32 years ago. It is my second most favorite.

I had my mod. 12 professionally restored about 20 years ago. Both of my Winchesters are like new. I display them as a set, sort of like a father and son combination.

Your Friend in Dixie,

Sir Bug
  12. txdeerhunt

txdeerhunt New Member

Need a place to vote for more than one pump. I have the 870, and a winchester. My favorite is the Ithica handed down from my father..............Great Shotgun!!
  13. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

Winchester model 12, best pump ever. I have never had a single model 12 come up on the shoulder badly.
  14. calicollector

calicollector New Member

i chose other, simply because i have 3 browning A-5's and i love them.. i also own a few Mossy 500's a Winchester 140, a Remington 870, a bolt action Mossy .410 and ill even count my wifes 20 gauge Mossy and her Traditions 12 gauge auto loader.. i want a Winchester 1300 though
    Ray in California
  15. Cow Caregiver

Cow Caregiver New Member

Pellet throwing tubes....

The 500 Mossy is the premier if you are having to hump it. The aluminum receiver is a great thing, but does not absorb much kick. The 870 is fine if you carry it in the cruiser, or on the saddle but it is not much fun to hump. I shoot a 20 gauge double hammer gun. Light, does the job, and not much kick.