what round should i use for self defense?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by llama.45, Feb 21, 2005.

1. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

i just purchased a 10mm and i was wondering what is the best round for self defense?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

The one you can shoot well! I consider a 10mm too high powered for a self defense load. There are many threads on this forum about the subject. Try centerfire pistols forum.
  3. offeror

offeror New Member

I like two rounds in particular, as long as you can shoot them well. The Cor-Bon 135-gr. HP at 1400 fps; energy 588 ft-lbs. And the Hornady Custom HP/XTP 155 gr. at 1265 fps (ft-lbs unlisted).

The 10 began to be under-loaded by some manufacturers after its initial introduction, so the key for me is to make sure I'm getting full power loads to maximize the potential of the round for defense. Not ALL the FBI agents had trouble shooting full power loads; only SOME of them did.

The full power 10mm behaves like a .357 magnum, or a slightly light-loaded .41 magnum. If the full power loads seem too much for you, I'm sure you can still find "10-lite" loads out there for it. You might need a lighter recoil spring if you go that route, I assume.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  4. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

i dont have a problem shooting the full power loads. i like my new 10mm alot better than the .45 that i sold to get it. offeror, dont u have a s&w mod. 1076? that is what my 10mm is.have u had any problems out of it?
    what is the best company to go to for extra mags?