What shot for home protection?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by bizy, Jul 17, 2009.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

Using a pump 20ga shotgun, what load do you use? Myself I use the #2 shot. I think most people use the #00 buck. I think most people knows what a pump sounds like when racking in the first round.:eek:
  2. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

Several years ago the NRA did an article about this and reccommended #4 buckshot. That is what I keep loaded in mine
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If you're racking that shotgun, then you have already fired that first shot, I hope!
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

They don't make 00 in 20 gauge. I think the biggest they sell is either #2 or #3.
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

I don't know that it really matters. What ever you put in a shotgun inside a house is going to be terrible on the intruder.
  6. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I think you're right Alpo.

The way I work it with my model 12 riot in 12 gage is to keep it unloaded and but with six rounds in a shell holder on the stock. Two are light game loads with 7 1/2 shot and the other four are OO buck. This way I can load for the situation.

In the next few months I'm going to pick up a 20 gage double barrel coach gun, simpler and less recoil for my wife who isn't a shooter. It will be the go to gun in the closet and I'll use the same sort of shell holder for ready ammo.
  7. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Me personally I prefer #9. I like the fact that unless they are made out of old shoe leather then their gonna be spending a lot of time at the hospital gettin all that out of the hide. whey settle for 20 pellets when you can have 100.
  8. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I am with GaBob in Carla's 20 gauge riot gun it is #4 buck shot then a another followed by four 20 gauge home defense loads from Federal. Them is some nasty critters with mixed size shot and lower recoil then reguler buck shot I shot one load into a four ft. square cardboard box at about seventeen steps I am dang sure glad I was on the correct end of that round. Big hole small holes medium size holes.
    I am not sure what all is in that round but it will take care of business.
  9. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I just received two 25 count boxes of estate 00 buck. It is what I will use once my shotgun gets to my ffl. I used c
    Cabelas bucks and did not have to pay for the shells.
    The sg I am waiting on is a 12 gauge NEF pardner protector w/ 18" barrel. It is an 870 knock off.
  10. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

This reminds me I need a new home security scatter gun, right now I'm giving my Win. 1200 bird gun double duty. I have it loader with 00 buck
  11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I got my NEF Protector for $168 delivered. I thought that to be a good price.
  12. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Don't have a shotgun, just the .455 in the night stand, and a peevee handle next to the door.
  13. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Are the parts interchangable with the 870? That would def. be a plus. either way thanks for the info I might have to check them out.
  14. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

It's hardly a knock-off; NEF, H&R and Marlin are all Remington-owned brands. It may look like a knock-off, but it's just the real thing in disguise.
  15. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Oh, and on the topic:
    I use #6 for nearly every application, including home defense. I do have some 00 and a couple slugs on one of those sleeve things on the stock, but I'm really pretty confident that #6 will do the trick for anything under 15 yards (and every shot in my home is under 10 yards).
  16. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I have read that the barrels are not compatible but most everything else will cross over.

The gun is produced by Norinco, at least that is what I have heard. It is a relatively heavy gun probably do in part to the all steel receiver.
  17. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I'm more concerend with stocks/forearms/pistolgrips, I'm really not sure which way I want to go with it. if it has an 18 inch barrel, that is about perfect for home security so I wouldn't need to change that. and that about rules out putting a longer tube on it.
  18. Mouton

Mouton New Member

I have a Ithica 20 ga with 3 buck. After the smoke clears, if needed, I go with the Glock 23 with 155JHPs.

I do not want to use bird shot because if I need to shoot, I want them immediately out of action, hopefully for good.

I have never seen 00 in 20 ga FWIW.

I am a peaceful person up till when you mess with my family, me or my home.

Vince
  19. questor

questor New Member

Check out this guide/article, very long but also very interesting in helping one selecting the best ammunition for defensive firearms.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm
  20. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

#4 in 12-gauge.