What should be included in a survival pack?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by netexasemt, Oct 19, 2011.

1. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

I'm sure there are a million different possibilities and numerous different packs and items that should be included. I want to know what everyone keeps in theirs.

I use my military issued large ruck sack which has the 3 large outside pockets, on for the canteen, one for my E Tool and an extra one for other things. There are also numerous slots for ammo., knives, and other neccessities on the outside. The inside has two separate compartments, one small, one large.

I have things like a compass, matches, paracord, a sewing kit, a small first aid kit, fishing supplies, automatic fishers, etc. Nothing fancy and not a lot of money involved. Ruck sack, E Tool, Canteen, etc. all military issue. Most of the other stuff was around the house.

What should be invested in? What would be your recommendations?

If something happened and you could only grab 5 things out of your pack, what would it be?
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

over the years i have seen some threads dedicated to this

I believe you allways need a good bottle of whiskey.
  3. grumpy66

grumpy66 New Member

Socks.......
    Gotta take care of the feet.
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Firearm/ammo, knife, paracord, fire starter, 1st aid kit.

Tough question.

Ya could grab food and water, but it'll only last a few days. Is that enough?

I don't see where 5 would be enough.:(
  5. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

hahaha yea take care of your feet, keep em dry.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

its a situation and personal thing

got kid's ? think again

just you and the mr's ? rethink

just you, sky's the limit

mushroom clouds on the horizon ? another rethink

government troops gunning down folks ? rethink again

you may have a place to go ..

you may not so shelter becomes a higher priority
    food may be what your lacking

be armed prepared and open minded and have the basics

water, food, shelter, defensive capability, fire capability all the basic's

i'd grab a rifle and my day bag and be good where i am now

if i was away i'd be grabbing way more , so i could make it to where i am set up ..

its all different for all of us ..
  7. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

we went over having shtf stock before but never got into go bags did we? who knows , memorys going what to do.good question though
  8. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Yea, there is a thread on here with "go bags" info but can't remember the title. I'm sure someone will recall though. I'm still tryin to decide what to put in mine?
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Whatever you decide is best for a survival pack or bug out bag (as the other thread is named) make sure you include a 50 or 100 dollar bill in it, sealed in a waterproof baggie. I came up with this because if I ever get stranded in the woods and have to eat bugs for however long, even if its just a day or 2, Im gonna want a cheeseburger as soon as i find civilization again, then a shower and a change of clothes.
  10. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

ought to be a dedicated survival board added on here.
  11. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Move to approve and vote Aye!
  12. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

It's already been discussed in depth, but I agree.

The fear I have is bots will turn this into a hate group.
  13. garydude

garydude Member

Hand held GPS, multi-tool, water purification tables, torch lighter and paracord.

Optional 6th item- flask of multipurpose distilled spirits:D:D:D

That's a tough one, though in reality my pockets would be bulging and I would be loaded up like a pack mule, at least for the first mile or two.
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

15. Chinook

Chinook New Member

5 things huh... Im going to go by what 5 things would I grab outta the bug-out-bag, to be included with he stuff I dont live without already...

Ammo for the guns I carry - Whats the use of having a firearm...without a use for it!

SBGO - Whats the use in having a firearm and ammo, if it wont function properly, or stay clean/corrosion free!

Water Purification tabs - Wheres the good in being in any environment with tainted water. Its basically our lifeblood in ANY survival situations.

Multi-Tool - Because everybody needs one!(The ones with a "Metal Match" either attached, or as an option.)

550 Cord - Because you are going to have to tie something up at some point! Its uses are literally, ENDLESS!
  16. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

if they haven't turned the rest of TFF into a hate group, i doubt it will happen to a survival board.

we already know most of the people here are level headed, like-minded individuals. the vast majority of gun owners have at least a passing interest in survival, which is why they're gun owners to begin with. so why not have a board specially dedicated to survival related issues? we have one for political incorrectness, religion, constitutional discussions, curios & relics, hunting & fishing, disabled hunters & shooters, cooking & recipes, self defense tactics, ammo & reloading, knives & edged items, General Military Arms & History, and even a humour forum, just to name a few.

TFF is a home away from home for many people. have you ever said to yourself "oh well, i'd better not get a grill because..."? no! it's your home and you improve it the way you like! so why not add a grill on here?:D
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The trick is to make as many things into 1 as possible. For example, putting one of Jons slings on a rifle gets you a firearm and about 150 feet of 550 cord in 1.
  18. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

The only way i am leaving is if the air is unsafe to breath. Other than that everyone i know is headed to me. If I have to leave it's cause God has hit the reset button.

Bunker down and hold on.
  19. islenos

islenos New Member

never underestimate the power of a simple deck of cards
  20. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

Wow, thanks everyone. This one got hot quick. I like it.

Let's add a Survival Board. I vote for it. I'll start a new thread now inside the suggestion board. If you want a new board titled "Survival Board" go there and vote. If you don't, vote no and let us know why.

I asked for the top 5 things, I know that's a crappy few, but just to get an idea of what is most important to different people. I have all kinds of things in my pack, charcoal aquarium filters are great for treating water, I have two in my pack.

JLA, you always amaze me, $100 s a great idea. It will either get you that cheeseburger or be worth absolutely nothing!

I also have a hammock, because I know the boss lady ain't sleeping on the ground. My sidearm will be on my person at all times with plenty of ammo.

Thanks all and lets keep getting good ideas.

Don't forget to vote.